[comp.sys.transputer] transputer prices

JALKIO@cc.helsinki.fi (Jouni Alkio, University of Helsinki, Finland) (11/15/89)

I would like to know the current prices for the transputer chips. I only
know the price for the T400 (20$).

					Jouni Alkio

res9004@computing.bradford.ac.uk ("R.A.Wilkinson") (06/17/91)

Rumours persist of T400's costing $20.
  But where's the source (of the cheap chips -not the rumours)?

Rapid quote 55 pounds for T400's, 108 pounds for T425's and
180 pounds for T800's  (all 20Mhz grid array).

Where's the catch?

+--------------------------------+------------------------------------------+
| Bob Wilkinson                  | e-mail  R.A.Wilkinson@uk.ac.brad.comp    |
| Research                       | phone   uk + (0)274 733466 ext 3927      |
| MMRU 1.13 Phoenix Building     |                                          |
|                                +------------------------------------------+
| Dept of Computing, University of Bradford                                 |
| Bradford, W.Yorkshire  BD7 1DP       U.K.                                 |

gil@jtsv16.jts.com (Gil Hauer) (06/18/91)

--
Gil Hauer              			  gil@jtsv16.jts.com
Tech Noir Inc.         	    { torsqnt | suncan | geac | uunet }!jtsv16!gil

davidb@brac.inmos.co.uk (David Boreham) (06/19/91)

In article <27919.9106171606@dcsun2.comp.brad.ac.uk> res9004@computing.bradford.ac.uk ("R.A.Wilkinson") writes:
>Rumours persist of T400's costing $20.
>  But where's the source (of the cheap chips -not the rumours)?
>
>Rapid quote 55 pounds for T400's, 108 pounds for T425's and
>180 pounds for T800's  (all 20Mhz grid array).
>
>Where's the catch?

Catch is that you need to be buying a decent number of them.
The chip business is an arabian bazar (sp ?). Nobody expects
to pay the price first quoted. Distributors (Rapid) take a
cut and so can never give you the $20 price (which is what
we sell T400's for in volume). The price you quote is likely
to be the _highest_ price available for the device.

Some suggestions for getting a better price---

 1. BS the local sales guy or FAE about future big orders.
    (doesn't work on the tele sales desk of course).

 2. Plead that you've only got so much budget and if only
    you had the parts for $xx then you would be doing
     amazing things.

 3. Mention to the sales rep other suppliers of transputers
    or even better other ways of implementing the design.
    Suggest that price is a problem.

 4. Convince the important people that your project is
    either ``real'' or high-profile. Don't want to sound
    negative but in the business universities come low
    on the priorities for chip sales (good for dev systems)
    because they virtually _never_ buy any quantities.
    Good story is to talk about future commercial application
    of your particular design (not just the research), particularly
    in a high volume market like car navigation or the like.

Good luck. Personally I make a rule never to pay more than
           half the first price I'm quoted.

David.

P.S. Get the suckers in plastic. Although the T400 is priced identically
     in plastic and PGA, the cost price is radically different. The
     low PGA pricing is there because INMOS does not intend to
     produce PGA T400 parts other than for samples. Plastic pricing
     should be more fluid due to the lower cost base.
[20~
David Boreham, INMOS Limited | mail(uk): davidb@inmos.co.uk or ukc!inmos!davidb
Bristol,  England            |     (us): uunet!inmos.com!davidb
+44 454 616616 ex 547        | Internet: davidb@inmos.com

csa@SPOCK.BYU.EDU (lyle bingham) (06/22/91)

The T400 price quoted so often at $20 is for a purchase quantity of 50K per
year.  If you can place such an order, you can get that price.
the prices you have found are single unit prices I believe.

Please drop me a direct message