[comp.sys.transputer] Booting T's from byte-wide ROMs.

stiles@MULTI.EE.USU.EDU (G. S. Stiles) (06/21/91)

Does anybody know if it is possible to boot transputers from byte-wide
ROMs??

Thanks -

Dyke Stiles       stiles@cc.usu.edu

csa@SPOCK.BYU.EDU (lyle bingham) (06/22/91)

Yes -  See the Transputer Data Book 2nd edition p73 (T805)

If BootFromRom is connected high the transputer starts to execute code from
the top two bytes in external memory, at address #7FFFFFFE.  This location should contain a backward jum
should contain a backward jump to a program in ROM.  Following this access,
BootFromROM may be taken low if required.  The processor is in the low priority state, and the W resty
and the W register points to MemStart.

The above is quoted from the databook

It may require some smart circuitry, but it can be done

best regards
lyle

davidb@brad.inmos.co.uk (David Boreham) (06/25/91)

In article <9106210142.AA05933@multi.ee.usu.edu> stiles@MULTI.EE.USU.EDU (G. S. Stiles) writes:
>Does anybody know if it is possible to boot transputers from byte-wide
>ROMs??

Sure, if you have a T225...but I guess that's not your question ?

The T4/T8 devices were not designed with byte-wide ROM in mind.
However rumours persist of various tricks which can be used to
achieve the desired effect. I should add that I have no evidence
for any of these ideas ever having been properly tested. We always
hang ROMs off T225's or use large amounts where 32-bits is an advantage.

1. Make a demultiplexor which assembles a 32-bit wide word from
   four ROM accesses. This one gets plenty of mentions but almost
   certainly costs more than four ROMs, no matter how you do it !

2. Put the ROM with a state machine, connected to a link adaptor.
   This works. The SM addresses the ROM and counts up, sending
   byte-by-byte down the link. You connect the link adaptor to the
   transputer and boo from link. (Wastes a link).

3. By some devious cunning with the op-codes, you hang an 8-bit ROM
   on _ONE_ byte of the 32-bit memory interface. Program the ROM
   with a clever program which only needs one byte to read different
   data. The rest of the bus can be pulled high/low to fake no-ops
   or whatever. Never seen this done but heard rumors. You only need
   a program which copies a bootstrap into RAM and then runs that
   so we're not talking about anything too complex.
   This would be neat if it works except for the bus pulling which
   is going to screw up the loading and cover the board in resistors.
   (Was that the thing you were mentioning Lyle ?)

4. Order 200,000 parts and we'll put a mask ROM on the chip :)

Cheers, David.

David Boreham, INMOS Limited | mail(uk): davidb@inmos.co.uk or ukc!inmos!davidb
Bristol,  England            |     (us): uunet!inmos.com!davidb
+44 454 616616 ex 547        | Internet: davidb@inmos.com

cary@esl.com (Cary Jamison) (06/25/91)

The transputer system I worked on at BYU booted of byte-wide ROMs,
so it is possible.  However, it was all custom hardware.

They had four ROMs sitting side-by-side to get the 32-bit words.
I can't tell you much more than that.  If you want more information,
though, I can supply you with the e-mail address of the professor in
charge of the project there.

Cary Jamison
cary@esl.com