[comp.editors] XEDIT capabilities in full-screen editors

leech@unc.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (11/06/87)

Expires:

In article <967@cpocd2.UUCP> nate@cpocd2.UUCP (Nathan Hess) writes:
(re CMS XEDIT)
>beginnings, it does have a couple features that I have never seen on any
>other editor:	the ALL macro, which only displays those lines containing

    The ALL feature is truly wonderful. My advisor at Caltech
described it verbally and I added a version to the text editor I
maintain with about 2 hours work. I would hate to live without ALL
now.  Surely someone could do the same for GNU Emacs for the sake of
people who like Emacs.

>a given string -- "ERROR", for example; the HOR macro, which allows
>column-wise editing in any block of lines in the file -- delete, move,
>copy columns.	This latter feature is *extremely* handy for dealing with
>simulation outputs.  Plus, you can invoke the ALL macro, and then invoke
>HOR on whatever part of the file is left, essentially treating all lines
>containing a given string as one contiguous block of text.  I have never
>encountered another editor that can do either of these two things, let
>alone combine them.

    Any editor which can work with the horizontal quarter-plane
editing paradigm can supply these sorts of operations easily - the
primitives are rectangular blocks of text as opposed to byte streams
with imbedded newlines. (This is another item for religious
arguments, so please don't post saying one way or the other is
'superior') I believe the Yale 'T' editor uses the quarter-plane
paradigm. Interactive's INed, which the editor I maintain is similar
to, also works this way.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
"The idea of ``picking up where Apollo left off'' in lunar exploration

lear@ttidca.TTI.COM (Russell Lear) (11/10/87)

I'm not sure just what the ALL command in XEDIT does, but GNU emacs
(version 18.47.10) does include the commands delete-matching-lines and
delete-non-matching-lines that ... well, that delete matching and
non-matching lines according to a regular expression.

russell.