[comp.editors] VI Interactive Help

jamesp@amadeus.TEK.COM (James T. Perkins;1149;92-725;LP=A;60eC) (01/12/88)

A month or two ago someone posted an interactive vi help card.  It featured a
keyboard mapping that would cause a "help card" to be displayed (in two
columns, about 23 lines long). Unfortunately, I lost it.

If someone could mail me the article, I'd sure appreciate it.  I'm trying to
help someone learn to use vi.

Thanks in advance!

 _	___
| |    / _ \   James T. Perkins, jamesp@dadla.la.tek.com, (503)629-1149
| |__ | |_| |  Tektronix Logic Analyzers, DAS System Software, Disk Services
|____||_| |_|  MS 92-725, PO Box 4600, Beaverton OR 97075

Killed processes never die... They just go to the big Bit Bicket in the sky.

wsmith@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (01/13/88)

I've never seen a decent help card for Vi.  There are lots of things
that won't fit in a small piece of documentation like a couple of sheets
of paper.

Plus they usually don't explain :map, :%! and other powerful and
infrequently used commands or how entirely orthogonal the commands and
addressing modes are.

sigh.   I suppose the same can be said for any sophisticated editor
(like Emacs too).  <- note slight attempt at preventing partisanship.

Bill Smith
pur-ee!uiucdcs!wsmith
wsmith@a.cs.uiuc.edu

louis@auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) (01/14/88)

In article <2956@zeus.TEK.COM>, jamesp@amadeus.TEK.COM (James T. Perkins;1149;92-725;LP=A;60eC) writes:
> A month or two ago someone posted an interactive vi help card.  It featured a
> keyboard mapping that would cause a "help card" to be displayed (in two
> columns, about 23 lines long). Unfortunately, I lost it.
>
> If someone could mail me the article, I'd sure appreciate it.  I'm trying to
> help someone learn to use vi.

I have the problem of teaching new students vi, and I would also like to
see the "help card".

Louis Schmittroth		           My employer has no opinions.
Computer Science
Athabasca University   ...{ubc-vision, ihnp4}!alberta!auvax!louis
--

kevin@ttidca.TTI.COM (Kevin Carothers) (01/15/88)

>From: wsmith@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu
>I've never seen a decent help card for Vi.  There are lots of things
>that won't fit in a small piece of documentation like a couple of sheets
>of paper.
   [...other stuff too]

I found a good one. It's manufactured by;

            Specialized Systems Consultants
            PO BOX 7, Northgate Station
            Seattle, WA      98125-0007    phone: (206) FOR-UNIX

It's an 8-page 'roadmap' folded 8.5"x11" sheet that has all you want
and more. It covers the following  topics;

       * Screen Adjustment              * Vi Entry
       * shiftwidth formatting          * File manipulation
       * Marking                        * Text manipulation
       * Options                        * Cursor movement
       * "Ed" compatible commands       * Text copying
       * Limits (chars/line, etc)       * patterns
       * Macro's and appreviations

In short, I believe it tells more about Vi than  Bill Joy *EVER* told us
in the UNIX(*) USD.  Get it. If they're out of business, I'd also recommend
the following;

       Introducing the UNIX system
       McGraw-Hill Software Series.
       by:   Henry McGilton & Rachel Morgan

            ...VERY good writeup on Vi.

Viva Vi!

Kevin

-----------------------------------
(*) UNIX is a trademark of a warped mind.

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide) (01/17/88)

In article <189100003@uiucdcsb> wsmith@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I've never seen a decent help card for Vi.  There are lots of things
>that won't fit in a small piece of documentation like a couple of sheets
>of paper.

A couple of months ago I posted a 'vi' card that decribes all standard 'vi'
commands in a 23-line, two-column format.  This is very nice because it's
a trivial thing to add this as an on-line 'vi' help fitting in one
80 by 24 screen.  I also prepared a TeX version that could be typeset
on a very small piece of paper that, if folded, easily fits in your
shirt pocket.

I have now been asked to re-post that and will do so later today togehter
with some other stuff that may be useful for 'vi' learners and novices.

-Bo

garyp@cognos.uucp (Gary Puckering) (01/27/88)

In article <189100003@uiucdcsb> wsmith@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I've never seen a decent help card for Vi.  There are lots of things
>that won't fit in a small piece of documentation like a couple of sheets
>of paper.
>
>Plus they usually don't explain :map, :%! and other powerful and
>infrequently used commands or how entirely orthogonal the commands and
>addressing modes are.

The card I use seems pretty good.  I learned most of vi from it.
It is available from:

	Specialized Systems Consultants
	P.O. Box 7, Northgate Station
	Seattle, WA  98125-0007

	(206) FOR-UNIX

They also sell reference cards for Unix, C, and the C library.
--
Gary Puckering                                   P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated                              3755 Riverside Dr.