[comp.editors] Inputting 8-bit characters

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (05/13/88)

Gordan Palameta (gordan@maccs.UUCP) ) writes:
>On a more general note, now that standards like ISO 8859 have arrived,
>character sets have increased in size from plain old US ASCII.  What
>provisions will there be for inputting these characters?  Say you want
>to enter the copyright symbol into your text -- will every editor and
>word processor simply define some haphazard set of inputting methods or
>is anyone thinking about defining a standard keyboard layout?

In my Emacs and TPU profiles I use PF1-<code>-ENTER, inherited from
old EDT. Of course this won't do, if I'm typing them all the time.
But I don't think the editor should handle this. It should be in the
keyboard.
  The VT200 series does not support 8859, but DEC multinational character
set, which is (approxamitely) a subset. I doubt that I would see this
keyboard layout as the standard. First of all, you Emacs lovers would go
crazy, since ESC is found as CTRL/3 (and possibly also F11).
  Not all charcaters are on the keyboard. Which characters you have
depends on the country. From the Set-up menu you can choose between
a variety of keyboard layouts, but of course the print on the keys
is not changeable. If you choose Swedish layout all our letters are
there but for brackets, braces and the at sign I have to use the
"compose charcater" key. Not only it takes time, I have to remember
how to get them, because they are not obvious.

>In the long run, perhaps, chord keyboards would be preferable.  There
>would probably be a sizeable learning curve, but for sheer speed they'd
>be hard to beat, and they could be used to input a virtually unlimited
>number of distinct characters.

Hm, are you talking of "compose characters" things here, or do I get
you wrong?
--
Erland Sommarskog           Take C, a third class language
ENEA Data, Stockholm        and a C programmer, i.e. a third class programmer