[net.micro] cheap modems

markus@fluke.UUCP (Mark Hastings) (10/15/85)

>Does  anyone  have any  information  on the  'cheap'  1200  baud  modems
>advertised  in BYTE or the  company  that sells them?  The ad is on page
>473 of the  Sept.  BYTE (and is also in the Oct.  issue).  It shows as a
>103/212 modem and claims Hayes  Compatability (the Sept issue says Hayes
>Compatable  and the Oct issue  says 99% Hayes  Compatable).  The  prices
>they show are $179  assembled,  $140 kit  (assembled PC board - 5 minute
>assembly  time), and $120 kit  (solder  it  yourself).  The  company  is
>Concord Technology out of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

>It seems like a good deal, but my mother  always had a saying about good
>deals.

THIS DEAL IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!!

I have delt with the company directly.  Over two months ago I was in Vancover
BC and decided to check out the company.  The manager (I think) said that if I
paid now, I would have a modem sent to me within 10 to 14 days.  I paid cash
(I know what a sucker).  Well, two weeks later, no modem.  I called them up,
and I was told they would be in by Friday and I would get it in one more week.
A week and a half went by, I called them up again and got the same story.  This
went on for another three weeks.  After five weeks waiting and calling, I called
again.  I told the manager (I think) that he should send out a notice after
30 days telling customers of the delay.  I asked him if I would ever get my
modem or if this would go on and on.  He got very angry at this and said (and
I quote) "WE DON'T NEED CUSTOMERS LIKE YOU".  I'm not sure what he meant, but
I think he meant, 'customers that expect satisfaction and product for the money
they (we) have spent'.  I have since called twice asking for my money back, all
I can get from them is, and I quote "OH I THOUGHT SOMEONE SENT IT LAST WEEK.  I
WILL SEND IT TODAY".  You know the old saying "THE CHECK IS IN THE MAIL".

In my opinion, this would be a very poor company -->   CONCORD TECHNOLOGY LTD.
in which to spend your hard earned money!!!            47 W. Broadway
						       Vancover BC Canada

By the way, they have been advertising that 300/1200 baud modem for 3 months
in Byte, and as a week ago have not shipped modems.

The comments that I have made are of my own and do not reflect that of my
employer.

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (10/16/85)

In article <969@vax2.fluke.UUCP> markus@fluke.UUCP (Mark Hastings) writes:

>THIS DEAL IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!!
>
>I have delt with the company directly...

> [discussion of problems, deleted herein - kde]

>In my opinion, this would be a very poor company -->   CONCORD TECHNOLOGY LTD.
>in which to spend your hard earned money!!!            47 W. Broadway
>						       Vancover BC Canada
>
>By the way, they have been advertising that 300/1200 baud modem for 3 months
>in Byte, and as a week ago have not shipped modems.

Hey, there are lots of netlandians in Vancouver, BC; how 'bout someone going
over there to Concord Tech. Corp. and finding out what's up (maybe mentioning
that they are getting *lots* of negative publicity) and reporting back to us.

Any Volunteers up there?

keith
--
Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)
Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383

goldste@uthub.UUCP (Jack Goldstein) (10/17/85)

> I have delt with the company directly.  Over two months ago I was in Vancover
> BC and decided to check out the company.  The manager (I think) said that if I
> paid now, I would have a modem sent to me within 10 to 14 days.  I paid cash
>	.
>	.
>	.
> I have since called twice asking for my money back, all
> I can get from them is, and I quote "OH I THOUGHT SOMEONE SENT IT LAST WEEK.
> I WILL SEND IT TODAY".  You know the old saying "THE CHECK IS IN THE MAIL".
>
> In my opinion, this would be a very poor company -->   CONCORD TECHNOLOGY LTD.
> in which to spend your hard earned money!!!            47 W. Broadway
> 						       Vancover BC Canada
>
> By the way, they have been advertising that 300/1200 baud modem for 3 months
> in Byte, and as a week ago have not shipped modems.

   In a situation like this, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to
write to Byte with your complaints.  This probably wouldn't help you get
your money back but it might, at least, get the add cancelled, thus
saving other people some money.  I think there is some satisfaction
in that, at least.
				Jack Goldstein
				utcsri!uthub!goldste

granvold@tymix.UUCP (Tom Granvold) (10/17/85)

In article <969@vax2.fluke.UUCP> markus@fluke.UUCP (Mark Hastings) writes:

>>Does  anyone  have any  information  on the  'cheap'  1200  baud  modems
>>advertised  in BYTE or the  company  that sells them? ... The  company  is
>>Concord Technology out of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

>I have delt with the company directly.  Over two months ago I was in Vancover
>BC and decided to check out the company.  The manager (I think) said that if I
>paid now, I would have a modem sent to me within 10 to 14 days.  I paid cash
>(I know what a sucker).

Mark goes on to say that after several weeks and lots of calls to the company,
no modem and no refund.

Yes, looking back on it, you should not have given them the money, but them
again people should be able to trust companies. In any case the important
thing now is to get your money back and let the company get away with it!
It is too bad you paid in cash and not by credit card, you could have the
back stop payment if it was charged.

I am not sure if the post office can be any help. Normally they take interest
in problems with mail order companies, but you paid in person and the
company is located in Canada. You might check with the post office any way.
Find out if the manager owns the company. If he doesn't, try to find out
who the owner is and complain to them (this  works well with large companies,
the higher up you go the more concerned they are with customer satisfaction).
You can always contact the Better Business Bureau in Vancouver. Find out
if there is a consummer fraud unit in Vancouver.

Above all in dealing with this type of situation, don't give up! I have a
theroy that many places count on the fact that most people do not take the
time to get what they want. If a company puts a few diffuculties in the way
most people give up. Therefore one has to keep going long enough to
show that you will not give up. Then they will take care of the problem.
This happened to me once in regard to a mistake made in fixing my car. So
check out all the possibilities you can think of and let the manager know
that you are doing this. If you talk to him by phone, make a summary of
the conversation in writting and send him a copy. Put you complaint in
writting and send him a copy. Sooner or later he will realize that it is
easier to send you the modem or the money.

I feel that if more people insist an receiving good service and there value
for the money, there will be fewer situations like the one you describe.
DONT'T LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT!

Disclainer: I am not a lawyer nor do I know much about the law. The above
comes from personal experience.

Tom Granvold
ucbvax!allegra!oliveb!tymix!granvold

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (10/20/85)

<>

> In my opinion, this would be a very poor company -->   CONCORD TECHNOLOGY LTD.
> in which to spend your hard earned money!!!            47 W. Broadway
> 						       Vancover BC Canada
>
> By the way, they have been advertising that 300/1200 baud modem for 3 months
> in Byte, and as a week ago have not shipped modems.

I suggest a few actions to deal with this type of rip-off:

1.  Contact Vancover BBB (if they have one)
2.  Contact local postal inspector.  If they are truely ripping off people,
    their mail can be blocked.
3.  There is a federal agency (I forget which one) that regulatges this
    type of thing.  (They are the ones with the 30 day rule)  Contact them
    to bring the heat onto CTL.

Good luck!

--
Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
Development Corp.

Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                       talcott!sesame!slerner@harvard.ARPA