[comp.editors] FinalWord II

jxh@cup.portal.com (05/28/88)

I am using FinalWord V2.20 on my IBM PC.  I bought it from Mark of the Unicorn
a few years back.  Recently, I got a letter from them identifying FW Corp. as
the owners of the product.  Hmmm...

Today, I am trying to find a printer description for a Kyocera F1000A laser
printer, using its native-mode DESCRIBE language; going through one of its
emulation modes is restrictive and problematic.  So.

I called the FinalWord BBS.  There's a modem there, but nothing beyond it that
responds.  Hmmm...  I called MOTU.  They said that FW Corp. had always owned
FW and *marketed it* through MOTU.  The phone at FW Corp. is an answering
machine.  I left a message that has not yet yielded a response.
MOTU also said that FW Corp. had shifted to marketing it through Borland,
International.  Well!  Borland says: (a) What? or (b) We're not selling it at
the moment; depending on who you talk to.

How am I meant to keep in touch with other users of FinalWord to exchange
printer definitions, etc?  Are there any of you on *the net*?  Has anyone
ever seen this goofy DESCRIBE language outside of Kyocera?  Am I losing my
marbles? :-)

-Jim Hickstein, VSAT Systems, Inc., San Jose, CA
jxh@cup.portal.com   ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com
DISCLAIMER:
Nothing at all to do with jj@cup.portal.com (the one who begs for money
to continue his college education, and can't spell correctly while doing so).
Portal is a service bureau.

johnl@ima.ISC.COM (John R. Levine) (05/30/88)

In article <5992@cup.portal.com> jxh@cup.portal.com writes:
>MOTU also said that FW Corp. had shifted to marketing it through Borland,
>International.  Well!  Borland says: (a) What? or (b) We're not selling it at
>the moment; depending on who you talk to.

Usually reliable sources tell me that if Borland ever gets around to
selling their Sprint word processor, it is really Final Word.  Yet another
fine Boston-area product is seduced out to California by Philippe's
millions.
--
John R. Levine, IECC, PO Box 349, Cambridge MA 02238-0349, +1 617 492 3869
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something