[comp.editors] keyboards

Several pieces of private mail have challenged my assertion that the
qwerty (Sholes) keyboard was not designed to slow down the typist.
Herewith some excerpts from a 24 Feb 1982 contribution to the Editor-
People mailing list by Donald Norman -- a name that should be familiar
to anyone who knows anything about computer-human-interaction work:

	"The Sholes keyboard (aka "qwerty") was designed for a
	typewriter so as to minimize the jamming of typebars as
	they moved to the platen.  This caused the placement of
	frequent pairs as far from one another as possible.  In
	fact, this SPEEDS typing because typing on alternate hands
	is faster than on the same hand (list of references and
	reprints of papers available on demand: see, for example,
	Rumelhart & Norman in the next Cognitive Science).  This
	point wasn't appreciated at the time because nobody thought
	of using all ten fingers, and typing without looking at the
	keyboard was unheard of...

	"There have been hundreds of studies comparing Dvorak
	arrangements with Sholes arrangements.  Dvorak fans claim
	massive improvements in speed...  However, experiments done
	by neutral parties tend to put the improvement around the
	5 to 10% range -- not worth the effort... you can get a far
	greater improvement in typing speed by moving the RETURN key,
	either to where it can be reached without distorting the hand
	(say by the left thumb...) or by having automatic RETURNs...

	"If you want to improve typing speed, don't tinker with the
	current key layout, but do dramatic re-arrangements [e.g. chord
	keyboards]."
--
"For perfect safety... sit on a fence|  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
and watch the birds." --Wilbur Wright| {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (06/15/88)

One other consideration further blunts the Dvorak arguments: they made a _lot_
more sense in the world of mechanical typewriters.   When having 'a' on your
left pinky *was* a nuisance simply because most folk had trouble getting
enough _smooth_ strength to type it cleanly and quickly.  With electronic
kbds, strength isn't an issue.
   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Labs, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

johng@ecrcvax.UUCP (John Gregor) (06/17/88)

In article <1988Jun13.195851.1729@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>	"If you want to improve typing speed, don't tinker with the
>	current key layout, but do dramatic re-arrangements [e.g. chord
>	keyboards]."
>--
How about foot pedals?  Namely shift, cntrl, ESC (for EMACS), and return.

One of these days, when I find a good footswitch, I performing some
surgery on my terminal.  I'll let the world know what happens...

Has anybody else tried this???
--
John Gregor                                       johng%ecrcvax.UUCP@pyramid.COM

All the world's indeed a stage, and we all merely players.  Performers and
portrayers.  Each the other's audience outside the guilded cage.    --RUSH

kevin@ttidca.TTI.COM (Kevin Carothers) (06/21/88)

in article (????) johng@ecrcvax.UUCP (John Gregor):

>How about foot pedals?  Namely shift, cntrl, ESC (for EMACS), and return.
>
>One of these days, when I find a good footswitch, I performing some
>surgery on my terminal.  I'll let the world know what happens...
>
>Has anybody else tried this???

There *IS* (or *was* ?) a company that was producing a foot pedal
"ESC" switch (they advertised in "The DEC Professional, and possibly
"Hardcopy" magazines). This worked quite well (I'm told) with EDT
on PDP-11's, and it was only advertised VT-100 compatible.

It actually seems rather more useful to design a footswitch that
would make the next character typed a "CTL" character, because this
is the key that requires "goofy-handing" most often...

Unfortunately, given the async-serial  characteristics of most
(ie; "non-IBM") type computer terminals, this is, to my understanding,
a rather (as we in the computer business say) non-trivial problem.

 _   ,                      __
' ) /                      /  )             _/_ /
 /-<   _ , __o  ____      /    __.  __  ____/  /_  _  __  _
/   ) </_\/ <__/ / <_    (__/ (_/|_/ (_(_) (__/ /_</_/ (_/_)_
   The Name:   Kevin Carothers   !{csun,psivax,rdlvax,trwrb}!ttidca!kevin
   The Place:  Citicorp/Transaction Technologies
   The Biz:    Consumer & Commercial banking systems
   The Quote:
               fortune: Command not not available during prime-time

                                   - My System Administrator

wjc@ho5cad.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET (Bill Carpenter) (06/21/88)

In article <556@ecrcvax.UUCP> johng@ecrcvax.UUCP (John Gregor) writes:

> How about foot pedals?  Namely shift, cntrl, ESC (for EMACS), and return.
>
> One of these days, when I find a good footswitch, I performing some
> surgery on my terminal.  I'll let the world know what happens...
>
> Has anybody else tried this???

About 100 years ago, I went so far as to buy  a foot switch from Radio
Shack (I think they were selling them  as some  kind of remote control
for tape recorders or something).   I  had the idea  of wiring up  the
keyboard of my Osborne I so that the footpeddle  would be  the same as
"control".  That was in  the good  old  days when there  wasn't a tiny
computer inside most  keyboards (ie, there were  just contact switches
and even the debouncing was done in the big part of the terminal).

Well, I never got around to it, since it  was just a curiosity anyhow.
I  doubt  that I'd like moving  my  foot among multiple foot switches,
though.  My pinky hops considerably faster than my piggies.

-- Bill Carpenter         att!ho5cad!wjc  or  attmail!bill
   (201-949/c233)-8392    HO 1L-410
--

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (06/28/88)

In article <241@pvab.UUCP> robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:
>In article <Jun.5.02.10.06.1988.3586@constance.rutgers.edu>, gaynor@constance.rutgers.edu (Silver) writes:
>
>> It's amazing that keyboard layouts have not been standardized.
>
>I saw some prototype layout for some ISO or some-such standard
>one or two years ago. It looked much like the IBM AT-3 or maybe
>DEC VT220 keyboard.

Omigod, could it be that the ESC-key-in-the-right place isn't even
a standard somewhere?  Better get cracking!

I assumed that it would at least be some sort of ANSI standard, since
DEC's VT100 sported was ANSI-compatible escape sequences.
Now that its defacto-standardness is going away I'm real sad. Feel
free to add to this list, so I know what equipment to avoid.

I'm rating more by layout than feel:

Good			Bad		Worse
DEC VT100		TTY KSR33	VT220
Apple //e		Apple ][+	Apple extended keyboard
IBM PC			IBM PC/AT	PC/RT (and probably all PS/2's)
Apple standard keyboard	Mac/Mac+	New PC/AT (AT-3 type)
(for Mac SE, Mac ][, and
Apple //GS)
Sun-3
Symbolics LISMs
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

davidra@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (David A. Rabson) (06/28/88)

Ralph Hyre rates various keyboards by layout (not taking things like
the VT100's unreliablity and stiffness into account).  I agree with
all of his classifications but one: the PC/RT (rated worse-than-bad).
The keyboard as labeled is horrible, but it's so easy to remap SHIFT-LOCK
to control and "`" to ESCAPE that it hardly matters.  Try to do that
with the VT200 series.

We should do whatever we can to encourage hardware designers to implement
such soft keyboards; this means no mechanical shift-lock keys, among
other things.

				davidra@helios.tn.cornell.edu

				David Rabson
				Laboratory of Atomic and Solid State Physics
				Clark Hall, Cornell University
				Ithaca, NY 14853-2501

msb@sq.uucp (Mark Brader) (07/03/88)

> We should do whatever we can to encourage hardware designers to implement
> such soft keyboards; this means no mechanical shift-lock keys, among
> other things.

Argh, no!  Give me back my VT100 where I could *tell* the state of the
shift lock without having to look all over the keyboard for an LED!
And don't talk to me about status lines, either.  Tactile feedback, please.
Of course, it should be *shift* lock, not *caps* lock as is so common today.
I don't want to use the shift key for the ()'s in "a = FOO(BAR(b));"...

The real point here is -- for every opinion somebody holds about keyboards,
someone else holds the opposite opinion just as strongly.  As such, this is
a topic more fitted for talk.* than comp.*, and I suggest that it die quickly.

Mark Brader, Toronto		sed -e "s;??\\([-=(/)'<!>]\\);?\\\\?\\1;g"
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com	will fix them...	-- Karl Heuer