[comp.editors] uw and termcap

flash@ee.inference.ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) (07/18/88)

In article <306@corona.pb> michael@pbinfo.uucp (Michael Schmidt) writes:
>In article <535@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk>, flash@ee (Flash Sheridan) writes:
>>In article <369@mergvax.UUCP> rkxyv@mergvax.UUCP (Robert Kedoin) writes:
>>>
>>>I've seen versions of Jove and Emacs where the lines are just inserted, but
>>>the screen does not look like it is redrawn.
>>
>>I think it's your terminal emulator.  It happens to me using uw's ANSI
>>windows, but not Red Ryder's or dumb virtue's vt100 windows.
>
>May also depend on your termcap entry. If it contains entrys for
>add and delete line (al,il,AL,IL) or to change the scrolling
>region (cs, like vt100 has) GNUEmacs and perhaps also Jove will
>use it occasionally to update the screen.

Yep, thanks, that was it.  uw doesn't support cs(change scrolling region).
I removed it, and everything is wonderful.  To save other termcap novices
from having to read the man, here's the new entry I put into /etc/termcap

ZZ|ansi|uw-ansi|ansi with mods from dumv for uw:cs@:tc=dumv-24:

ZZ is because it wants a two-letter code.  cs@ means don't do cs.  tc means
otherwise it's like the dumb-virtue terminal (a Mac emulator which emulates
the uw emulator, but much better: it's a real Mac interface, though the
program itself is flaky.); you'll probably want to use vt100 instead.

Re-defining 'ansi' is decidedly non-kosher, but the alternative was
re-making uw again.

Be careful, uw on startup re-defines your TERM variable, but not TERMCAP.
This is what caught me.

From: flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
or_perhaps_Reply_to: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk