[comp.editors] Wanted SIMPLE editor and Re: Mail Editor

cnrdean2@violet.berkeley.edu (07/16/88)

Bob Drzyzgula writes:
>Here at the Federal Reserve Board, we have a number of senior and
>not so senior management type users that feel that having to learn
>a "complicated" syntax for an editor just to send and receive mail
>is an undue burden...
>The last thing I need is a project to write a new editor.
>I keep thinking that the Rand editor e would be the answer,
>but then I worry about the user that all of a sudden wants to send
>something with tabs in it (I don't know, a Makefile or something)...
>So I invite discussion on this. Does anyone know of a deathly
>simple, entirely intuitive, full screen editor that will work on
>vt220 terminals, and maybe do function keys and stuff, that might
>satisfy these users?

I posted a similar request to comp.editors 3 weeks ago for the same
reasons: we need a SIMPLE (VERY SIMPLE) cursor-key-driven editor for
ADMINISTRATIVE mail users. We would settle for running only on vt100
terminals and PC's that emulate vt100.

I got 2 replies: both suggesting RAND editor--which appears to be WAY
TOO COMPLICATED for these users.  The editor that comes with a $300
Radio Shack Model 100 notebook computer is much more appropriate for
these people.  Is it possible that nothing like this has ever been
written for UNIX and vt100 terminals??!!

There was a trivially simple editor called "ice", written for PDP-11
Unix, which came out of Canada.  Was this written in C or assembler?
It is only 8K on a DEC PRO-350 running VENIX. It could only run on
vt100 terminals.  This is sort of thing we're looking for, if written
in C.

Jim Bradley, College of Natural Resources Computer Facility, UC Berkeley

spectre@mit-vax.LCS.MIT.EDU (Joseph D. Morrison) (07/18/88)

A while ago, Bob Drzyzgula writes:

>Does anyone know of a deathly
>simple, entirely intuitive, full screen editor that will work on
>vt220 terminals, and maybe do function keys and stuff, that might
>satisfy these users?

I believe the standard editor that comes with VMS meets these
requirements; it's called EDT, and it's supposed to be intuitive, easy
to use, etc.

If EDT is too hard to get a hold of, GNU emacs has an EDT mode that
works fairly well; and that might in fact be just what you need,
because it ought to be easy to interface with MH...

Hope this helps...

        Joe Morrison
--
MIT Laboratory for Computer Science     UUCP: ...!mit-eddie!vx!spectre
545 Technology Square, Room 425         ARPA: spectre@vx.lcs.mit.edu

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (07/18/88)

>>Does anyone know of a deathly
>>simple, entirely intuitive, full screen editor that will work on
>>vt220 terminals, and maybe do function keys and stuff, that might
>>satisfy these users?
>
> I believe the standard editor that comes with VMS meets these
> requirements; it's called EDT, and it's supposed to be intuitive, easy
> to use, etc.

I can't let this go by without comment.  EDT is probably easier to
learn than vi or emacs, but you need a vt100 style keypad on your
terminal (unless you want to use line-mode or "nokeypad" commands).
Also, while you do eventually develop a feel for using the keypad, it
took me a long time before I could do without a "rubber ducky" overlay
on the keypad or frequently resorting to PF2 (now how intuitive is
THAT, that PF2 gives you help).  I don't consider the keypad "binding"s
particularly logically laid out either.  This isn't the place to get
into it, but EDT (at least the versions I've used in VMS 3.5 through
VMS 4.3) has some pretty infuriating aspects to it.  OK, I'll mention
one:  after a crash, both vi and emacs can recover the file pretty
quickly; EDT can take an incredibly long time to "play back" its
journal file, and it won't let you do it in batch, so you have to waste
an interactive session letting it do the recovery.

Mike Khaw
--
internet: mkhaw@teknowledge.arpa
uucp:	  {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge.arpa

dboyes@uoregon.uoregon.edu (David Boyes) (07/20/88)

In article <4452@mit-vax.LCS.MIT.EDU> spectre@mit-vax.UUCP (Joseph D. Morrison) writes:

>I believe the standard editor that comes with VMS meets these
>requirements; it's called EDT, and it's supposed to be intuitive, easy
>to use, etc.

Oh, please. Not EDT. ANYTHING but EDT. Besides, EDT is a VMS-only product.

Another problem with EDT is that it depends heavily on the VT100
keypad, something which a lot of microcomputer based terminal
emulators (MacTerminal and RedRyder leap immediately to mind) make
very difficult to use, so you get really baroque command sequences to
get simple things done.

The biggest minus of EDT that I've found is that it often doesn't
sense the terminal type properly ( this may be a VMS problem -- I
don't know) on non-DEC ANSI terminals and goes into line mode, a
"feature" which I find unacceptable.

I'm not trying to start an editor war. Please do not flame on that
basis.

>If EDT is too hard to get a hold of, GNU emacs has an EDT mode that
>works fairly well; and that might in fact be just what you need,
>because it ought to be easy to interface with MH...

GNU is probably overkill for just a simple mail editor. Heck, if
you're going to use GNU, you might as well use the GNU mail mode
instead of anything else.

>        Joe Morrison
>MIT Laboratory for Computer Science     UUCP: ...!mit-eddie!vx!spectre
--
David Boyes | Internet: dboyes@drizzle.cs.uoregon.edu   | (503) 686-4394
            | BITNET: dboyes@uoregon 		        |