[comp.editors] Paragraph Re-Formating in vi

jackd@copper.SDP.TEK.COM (Jack Decker) (07/29/88)

I know you vi can do wrapped margins when you are initially entering
text, but is there any way to force it to reformat the paragraph if
you add or delete text to a paragraph that already exists?

dab@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Dave Bozak) (07/29/88)

In article <2226@copper.SDP.TEK.COM> jackd@copper.SDP.TEK.COM (Jack Decker) writes:
>I know you vi can do wrapped margins when you are initially entering
>text, but is there any way to force it to reformat the paragraph if
>you add or delete text to a paragraph that already exists?
Sure, use fmt (if you don't have it on your system, there are PD versions):

:f,l!fmt

where f is line number of first line of paragraph
and   l is line number of last line of paragraph

-dave
 dab@rocky.oswego.edu
 {rutgers,rochester}!sunybcs!oswego!dab

shorne@citron (Scott Horne) (07/29/88)

From article <2226@copper.SDP.TEK.COM>, by jackd@copper.SDP.TEK.COM (Jack Decker):
> I know you vi can do wrapped margins when you are initially entering
> text, but is there any way to force it to reformat the paragraph if
> you add or delete text to a paragraph that already exists?

Yes, but it requires an external program called `fmt'.

Go anywhere within the paragraph you want to format, then type this:

{!}fmt<cr>

The <cr> represents "carriage return".

`fmt' should be in your /usr/ucb directory.

kevin@ttidca.TTI.COM (Kevin Carothers) (08/02/88)

>In article <2226@copper.SDP.TEK.COM> jackd@copper.SDP.TEK.COM (Jack Decker) writ
es:
>>I know you vi can do wrapped margins when you are initially entering
>>text, but is there any way to force it to reformat the paragraph if
>>you add or delete text to a paragraph that already exists?
>Sure, use fmt (if you don't have it on your system, there are PD versions):
>
>:f,l!fmt
>
>where f is line number of first line of paragraph
>and   l is line number of last line of paragraph
>
>-dave
> dab@rocky.oswego.edu

Huh?
I thought we had this discussion months ago. Anyway, I don't like
this  method  because  it  leaves "ragged" right-hand margins. It
looks a lot better if you put a ".pl 1" command  at  the  top  of
your  paragraph, position  your  cursor to the ".", and enter the
command "!}nroff". This  gives  "justified"  right-hand  margins,
like in this posting.

More fun facts and trivia from:

 _   ,                      __
' ) /                      /  )             _/_ /
 /-<   _ , __o  ____      /    __.  __  ____/  /_  _  __  _
/   ) </_\/ <__/ / <_    (__/ (_/|_/ (_(_) (__/ /_</_/ (_/_)_
   The Name:   Kevin Carothers   !{csun,psivax,rdlvax,trwrb}!ttidca!kevin
   The Place:  Citicorp/Transaction Technologies
   The Biz:    Consumer & Commercial banking systems
   The Quote:  "Humalazeelabezimalabeelabazoolabasimulabop"
                           -D. Lee Roth

jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) (08/04/88)

In article <3003@ttidca.TTI.COM> kevin@ttidcb.tti.com (Kevin Carothers) writes:
>Huh?
>I thought we had this discussion months ago. Anyway, I don't like
>this  method  because  it  leaves "ragged" right-hand margins. It
>looks a lot better if you put a ".pl 1" command  at  the  top  of
>your  paragraph, position  your  cursor to the ".", and enter the
>command "!}nroff". This  gives  "justified"  right-hand  margins,
>like in this posting.

Why do you like full justification?  If you have adequate typesetting
equipment, then it's fine.  On a terminal, it's just irritating.  The
spaces are far to irregular to make it comfortable to read, and the
center portion of the text looks sloppy.

--
James Moore
jamesm@sco.com