[comp.editors] my question about long lines

asherman@hawk.ulowell.edu (Aaron <hunter> Sherman) (12/22/88)

I posted a while ago to this group.
My question was basicaly:

    "Can vi be caused to handle longer lines than normal?"

I got quite a few answers. For anyone else who was wondering,
here is a summary:

	NO.

Well, I did get one very helpful letter, which suggested the use of
awk or sed. It included the actual code to use, but I, in my foolish
ways have misplaced it. When I get it from the backup tapes I shall
post it for all to see.
Other than that the general consensus was that source alteration would
be the only way.

Thanks to all those who sent responses, I think I will begin reading
this group. (Oh great! As if a 40 hour day weren't long enough!)

			-AJS

asherman@hawk.ulowell.edu       elm::shermana
Do you speak  | Hi I need libdbm.a on a TK50 so I can get X11 up on a
computerese   | GPXII at CPE.

hrs@homxb.ATT.COM (H.SILBIGER) (12/24/88)

In article <10846@swan.ulowell.edu>, asherman@hawk.ulowell.edu (Aaron <hunter> Sherman) writes:
> I posted a while ago to this group.
> My question was basicaly:
>
>     "Can vi be caused to handle longer lines than normal?"
>

> 	NO.

The vi clone "Z" from Manx Software Systems, does handle long lines.  However, t is only a subset of vi. It must be possible, though.

Herman Silbiger hrs@batavier.ATT.COM