[comp.editors] Toshiba/Norton editor question

payne@bgsuvax.UUCP (Conrad R Payne) (02/08/89)

I'm posting this for a freind of mine on BITNET having trouble posting
from his end.  Try e-mail to him directly first, but I'll relay if
need be.
		Conrad Payne payne@bgsuvax.UUCP

Does anybody out ther know why Norton Editor will not run on Toshiba
laptops? (at least not the T1000 or the T1200).

I've been thinking about buying Brief.  Does anybody know if Brief
will run on the Toshibas?  Any comments on Brief in general?  On the
Toshibas in general?

Dave Munday
d0mund01@ulkyvx.bitnet

nather@ut-emx.UUCP (Ed Nather) (02/10/89)

In article <3546@bgsuvax.UUCP>, payne@bgsuvax.UUCP (Conrad R Payne) writes:

> Does anybody out ther know why Norton Editor will not run on Toshiba
> laptops? (at least not the T1000 or the T1200).

I posted a description of how the Toshiba laptop keyboards messed up a
program I wrote; this may be another example.  If the Norton editor uses
either shift key in combination with the arrow keys, PgUp, PgDn, Home or End
then the keyboard clobbers the action.  The offending codes can be trapped,
but you must have the source code to do it.

We call this "upward compatibility."

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin