[comp.editors] Mouse Editing

badri@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (Badri Lokanathan) (04/05/89)

In article <9984@smoke.BRL.MIL> (newsgroup comp.lang.c),
gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:

>Be careful to distinguish between a particular use of a mouse,
>which may indeed not be advantageous depending on the particular design,
>and use of mice in general.
>
>I stopped using our EMACS editors for most purposes once Rob Pike's "sam"
>editor became available.  Its use of the mouse is cleanly integrated into
>the design of the editor's bitmap interface, not just tacked on as an
>afterthought.  It makes a considerable difference.

I included Doug's posting coz' he is making a pertinent point.

Now kids, lets' all sing together, accompanied by the groaning
of a macintosh disk drive:

"A purely mouse-based editor,
Would be a real pain in the arm:
If I only had one hand."

To those who do not like vi hjkl movement, look for a better nit to pick
(and there a few :-). If your terminal has arrow keys, make the following maps:

<esc>[A    k
[A         k
<esc>[B    j
[B	   j
<esc>[D    h
[D         h
<esc>[C    l
[C         l

Now you do not even have to hit the escape key to move around and it will
work regardless of you are in insert or command mode. Modeless? Well, partly.
If your terminal does not have the arrow keys (or any equivalent,)
chances are that it is too primitive for fancy editors anyway.
--
"I care about my fellow man              {) badri@ee.rochester.edu
 Being taken for a ride,                //\\ {ames,cmcl2,columbia,cornell,