[comp.editors] VMS _has_ a real text editor utility - TPU!

mikeg%watson.c3@lanl.gov (M.P.Gerlek) (04/06/89)

From article <Apr.5.03.19.20.1989.16544@athos.rutgers.edu>, by
    gaynor@athos.rutgers.edu (Silver):
> From what I've read in this newsgroup, can we safely call TPU an Emacs?

Minor clarification:  TPU (Text Processing Utility), is not an editor but
rather a _language_ (environment? world? something-or-other...) designed
to facilitate the _writing_ of editors.  I've been told TPU has many similar
text processing features similar to SNOBOL.

The "traditional" TPU Editor is EVE, by DEC.  The v5.0 version has many of
the power features a hard-core editor needs, though I don't believe it goes
quite as far as EMACS.  There are many other TPU editors around, via DECUS,
that go beyond EVE -- but still not quite as far as EMACS I think (at least,
no _one_ package has everything).

Question: Anyone know if anyone has ever written a true EMACS in TPU?

Query: Are things like DIRED (directory editing w/in your editor)
          really necessary, esp. in today's windowed world?  Fancy
	  and nice to have, but a bit heavy unless you're stuck on a
	  VTxxx.  (As someone posted, "I want an editor, not an
	  environment.")  I like bells and whistles too, but at some
	  point we lose track of the idea that we are _editing_ and
	  have shells to do our dirty work in.

	  (Or do we want to evolve out of the shell environment mindset,
	  as are seeming to do w/ mice and menus?

Further thought: The number of strictly non-editing functions an editor
          has may be directly proportional to the amount of time spent
	  in that editor -- the more time in the editor, the less time
	  spent escaping out, doing a quick compile, and slipping back in.

` M.P.Gerlek (mikeg@watson.c3.lanl.gov)              "To tweak,             '
` Los Alamos Nat'l Lab / Merrimack College              Or not to tweak?    '
`                                                     That is the           '
` Disclaimer: They don't tell me                        Question."          '
`             anything worth disclaiming.                                   '
.

pierson@mist (Dan Pierson) (04/07/89)

In article <11563@lanl.gov>, mikeg%watson (M.P.Gerlek) writes:
>Query: Are things like DIRED (directory editing w/in your editor)
>          really necessary, esp. in today's windowed world?  Fancy
>	  and nice to have, but a bit heavy unless you're stuck on a
>	  VTxxx.  (As someone posted, "I want an editor, not an
>	  environment.")  I like bells and whistles too, but at some
>	  point we lose track of the idea that we are _editing_ and
>	  have shells to do our dirty work in.

I claim that things are moving (and should move) in just the opposite
direction; a first-class work environment includes a ubiquitous
editor.  Existing (though deficient) examples include the Apollo pad
editor, the Macintosh editor(s) and, in a different way, Unipress
Emacs and the forthcoming GNU Emacs V19.  Emerging examples may be
best exemplified by text edit widgets or classes in such packages as
Xt, Interviews, and Andrew.

The guiding principle behind all of this is that there is a single,
common editor which is available in all situations.  This editor
either is the user interface itself, or is a very major part of the
user interface.  The basic functions of the editor are the same
everywhere (both function and method of invocation), but additional
and extended functions appear in different contexts as needed.

Note that none of this is either an unqualified endorsement of the
example editors listed above (many of which are terribly inadequate in
thier existing, minimal forms) or an attempt to insist that the common
editor must be implemented as one monolithic piece of code.

I also believe that it is very important for the editor to be
user-customizable and extensible, but claim that this is an orthagonal
issue.
--
                                            dan

In real life: Dan Pierson, Encore Computer Corporation, Research
UUCP: {talcott,linus,necis,decvax}!encore!pierson
Internet: pierson@encore.com

las) (04/11/89)

In article <11563@lanl.gov> mikeg%watson.c3@lanl.gov (M.P.Gerlek) writes:
>From article <Apr.5.03.19.20.1989.16544@athos.rutgers.edu>, by
>    gaynor@athos.rutgers.edu (Silver):
>> From what I've read in this newsgroup, can we safely call TPU an Emacs?

>Question: Anyone know if anyone has ever written a true EMACS in TPU?

Now that I would like to have!  Unfortunately, the "true believers" of
TPU that I have met to date think that it is their solemn duty to wipe
EMACS from the face of the Earth ("What can you do in EMACS that you
can't do in my version of HYPER-EVE.ULTRA-EXTENDED?  You should just quit
doing it your way and do it mine!").  I'm not totally resistant to change,
I've been through a lot of editors (EDIT (University of Texas), SOS, TECO,
TSO Editor, SPF, CP/M ED, WordMaster, WordStar, MS-DOS EDLIN, Pmate, the
Borland Turbo Editors, VI, MicroEmacs, GNU Emacs, MG (formerly MicroGnu-
Emacs), etc...), I just like for it to be my choice whenever possible.

>Query: Are things like DIRED (directory editing w/in your editor)
>          really necessary, esp. in today's windowed world?  Fancy
>	  and nice to have, but a bit heavy unless you're stuck on a
>	  VTxxx...

If yours is a windowed world, you are very fortunate.  Not all of us are.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (att!cbnews!cbema!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave