[comp.editors] Editing a Macintosh File

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (04/26/89)

I suppose this phenomenon has been mentioned before, but just so you know ...

I just finished a long document.  I took it to a place to be laser typeset.
Up until last December, I was using the same software as this place, so
I expected I'd just open the file and print it.

Little did I expect, they had updated their software.  Operating system 6.X
and about the 40th beta release of Word 4.0.

To those of you who don't own Mac's, it may surprise you to know one of these
updates made it impossible for them to print my file.  They could print
something that looked a bit like my file.  What I eventually came away with
was only slightly mutilated.  But it took a lot of work just to get that.

I had a similar experience the last time they updated their software.  It
took many man-hours to discover that the operating system on a Mac has some
subtle control of the spacing of characters run out to the laser printer.
They call this "partial pixel spacing".

It seems that, in an effort to make the printed result match up more closely
with the screen image, hundreds of hyperactive typesetters are constantly
tweaking the OS control of character spacing.  Every new release of the
operating system produces documents which differ in ultra-subtle ways.

Although these typesetting fanatics get a result which comes closer and
closer to what they like to see on paper, it's us users who get screwed
each time.  As a result of their tweaking, no document paginated under the
old OS works under the new OS.  The text has expanded, and any manual page
breaks or non-breaking carriage returns are likely to cause the production
of extra pages and lines.  Fortunately, I had enough time (hours) to re-
paginate while I was still at the shop.  Unfortunately, I didn't catch all
the line breaks.

Why not avoid manual page breaks and line breaks?  Because I don't want a
second level head and two lines of text at the bottom of a page.  Because
I don't want the term "n-MOS" to be split across a line break.  Because of
a lot of reasons which are important to the look and readability of a
document.

I cannot perceive any improvement in character spacing as a result of the
twits at Apple who release new "improved" versions of their OS.  But I
certainly can perceive the effect of their mischief on my document.

I thought desktop publishing was supposed to be one of the reasons to buy a Mac?
Why do they persist in screwing things up with each new release
of the OS?  Don't they realize that some people have to maintain documents
across OS releases?  That these people don't have free man-hours to burn to
appease some demented font designer at Apple?

Why not complain to Apple?  I sent them complaints after the last OS release.
(You can't call them up, because their complaint line has been disconnected.)
Their response was simply to explain what partial pixel spacing was, and
that it was out of the hands of the people who answer complaints.

In article <17605@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>Why not avoid manual page breaks and line breaks?  Because I don't want a
>second level head and two lines of text at the bottom of a page.  Because
>I don't want the term "n-MOS" to be split across a line break.  Because of
>a lot of reasons which are important to the look and readability of a
>document.

Is it Apple's fault that your word processor forces you to solve these
problems using manual overrides?  A good text formatter should allow
you to specify minimum widow sizes and control hyphenation.

It doesn't seem like OS changes would be the only things that would
cause you trouble using this scheme.  Simply adding a line (or maybe
even just a word) to your document would force you to go through it
and manually adjust everything.  The only difference is whether you
have to go through this process at home or at the printer's office.

>I cannot perceive any improvement in character spacing

So, decisions about whether changes should be made should be based
upon whether Mark Robert Thorson can tell the difference?  There's a
whole science of typography and font design, which spends much of its
time worrying about hundredth-of-an-inch differences in the lines that
makes up printed characters, so obviously some people can.  I think
Apple should be commended for caring enough.

>Why do they persist in screwing things up with each new release
>of the OS?  Don't they realize that some people have to maintain documents
>across OS releases?

So they should never fix bugs, in case some users happen to be relying
on the incorrect behavior?  What about the people who DO care about
the precise spacing, and complained to Apple that their documents were
coming out wrong?  Unfortunately, someone has to lose.  And it's
usually the person relying on the bug.

Suppose Apple had a compiler that incorrectly compiled multiplication
statements, always producing a result one higher than the correct
result (don't laugh -- early versions of a popular microprocessor chip
had a bug in a multiply instruction).  A user of this compiler might
write

	A = B * C - 1;

in order to multiply B and C.  Then a new version comes out, which
fixes the bug.  Should the user complain that this broke his programs?
If so, what is Apple supposed to do?

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (04/28/89)

>Little did I expect, they had updated their software.  Operating system 6.X
>and about the 40th beta release of Word 4.0.

>To those of you who don't own Mac's, it may surprise you to know one of these
>updates made it impossible for them to print my file.  They could print
>something that looked a bit like my file.  What I eventually came away with
>was only slightly mutilated.  But it took a lot of work just to get that.

I don't understand how an OPERATING SYSTEM can change the position
of letters on a page. It is certainly true that going to a new
version of a WORD PROCESSOR might do so. But don't word processors
simply tell the printer where on the page to place a certain letter?
I don't see how it would be possible to write any sort of reasonable
page generating program if it didn't know EXACTLY where a letter,
of a certain size, would appear when printed.

Are you saying that the word processor can't tell the printer
where to put letters on the page? Presumably it sends Postscript
to a Postscript printer. - are you saying that the OS CHANGES that
postscript?

Doug McDonald

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (04/29/89)

> Is it Apple's fault that your word processor forces you to solve these
> problems using manual overrides?  A good text formatter should allow
> you to specify minimum widow sizes and control hyphenation.

That depends on the level of quality the user is striving for.  In the book
design I am using, figure references, such as "see Figure 10" have the
"Figure 10" part in bold face.  To make things look nice, I want to keep this
part from being split across a line break.  If my editor anticipated this,
it would be doing wrong, because in other book designs it might be preferable
to allow the split.

To say that an editor should be able to automatically handle all formatting
decisions is like saying everybody should write programs purely in high-level
languages without GOTO's.

> So, decisions about whether changes should be made should be based
> upon whether Mark Robert Thorson can tell the difference?  There's a
> whole science of typography and font design, which spends much of its
> time worrying about hundredth-of-an-inch differences in the lines that
> makes up printed characters, so obviously some people can.  I think
> Apple should be commended for caring enough.

I am well aware of typography and book design issues.  You are correct
in pointing out that some of these issues concern 1/100th of an inch of
white space.  It is precisely these kinds of tweaks which Apple changes
in every OS release, which screws everything up.  The document I just
finished expanded by about 1% because of their tweaks.

I carefully examined the tweaks they made in their previous revision of the
OS by printing the same file under the old and new system, then comparing
them on a light table.  The changes they made were completely imperceptible
without this kind of comparison.

The question isn't so much whether the tweaks are needed or not, but why
the ******* tweaks can't remain stable.  Why weren't the tweaks in the last
release okay?  Or the release before that?  You can bet dollars to doughnuts
that they will tweak 'em again in the next release and the one after that.

If a spy took a job with Apple for the purpose of wrecking the company,
this would be a most clever, subtle, and effective way to do it.

> So they should never fix bugs, in case some users happen to be relying
> on the incorrect behavior?  What about the people who DO care about
> the precise spacing, and complained to Apple that their documents were
> coming out wrong?  Unfortunately, someone has to lose.  And it's
> usually the person relying on the bug.

I would be astounded if Apple received even one request from a user asking
for the tweaks they have put in.  I am more inclined to believe that Apple
typographers are trying to justify their reason for existence (at Apple).

> Suppose Apple had a compiler that incorrectly compiled multiplication
> statements, always producing a result one higher than the correct
> result (don't laugh -- early versions of a popular microprocessor chip
> had a bug in a multiply instruction).  A user of this compiler might
> write
>
> 	A = B * C - 1;
>
> in order to multiply B and C.  Then a new version comes out, which
> fixes the bug.  Should the user complain that this broke his programs?
> If so, what is Apple supposed to do?

A microprocessor manufacturer who has this kind of bug should introduce a new
opcode for the corrected form of the instruction.  There is no good reason
to screw the existing customer base IF there is any way to avoid it.

> Barry Margolin
> Thinking Machines Corp.
>
> barmar@think.com
> {uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

Mark Thorson, somewhere in California.

In article <220600002@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I don't understand how an OPERATING SYSTEM can change the position
>of letters on a page.
>Are you saying that the word processor can't tell the printer
>where to put letters on the page? Presumably it sends Postscript
>to a Postscript printer. - are you saying that the OS CHANGES that
>postscript?

The Macintosh system provides a number of utility routines for word
processors, instead of requiring every word processor to know how to
format for every possible output device.

As for whether the word processor outputs Postscript, most Mac word
processors don't deal directly in Postscript, or any other printer
control language.  They call a device-independent printing manager,
which makes use of device-specific drivers.

Changes in any of these layers could change the resulting printout.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) (05/02/89)

> It is precisely these kinds of tweaks which Apple change s in
>every OS release, which screws everything up.

If one is this fond of old technology, one could simply stick to Sys
3.0 or whatever.  Whoever makes this decision at your firm decided
it was worth upgrading.  Complain to him, not us.
From: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
Portal,MacNet: FlashsMom

gast@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (David Gast) (05/03/89)

In article <220600002@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>>To those of you who don't own Mac's, it may surprise you to know one of these
>>updates made it impossible for them to print my file.  They could print
>>something that looked a bit like my file.  What I eventually came away with
>>was only slightly mutilated.  But it took a lot of work just to get that.

>I don't understand how an OPERATING SYSTEM can change the position
>of letters on a page. It is certainly true that going to a new
>version of a WORD PROCESSOR might do so. But don't word processors
>simply tell the printer where on the page to place a certain letter?

The technical problem (as opposed to the software engineering problems
which have already been discussed) is that in spite of claims to the
contrary the Mac is not really WYSIWYG.  The reason is that Postscript
is used by the printer, but another program is used to display on the
screen.  The programs produce different output because they are different.

BTW, I have said nothing about the merits or disadvantages of WYSIWYG
so please no flames about concerning this topic.  (I will say, however,
that I usually use LaTeX).

David Gast
gast@cs.ucla.edu
{uunet,ucbvax,rutgers}!{ucla-cs,cs.ucla.edu}!gast