[comp.editors] Jove 4.12 ports

las) (05/05/89)

In article <1989Apr17.230643.21642@tmsoft.uucp> woods@tmsoft.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>If you are looking for a good "micro-emacs", I'd suggest Jove4.12 (not
>easy to port to SysV, but hopefully the next version will be).

Hmmm...  True, I had to work at it, but I've got it working with SysV.  I
guess I have to agree with you.  I would also like to port it to Turbo C.
I understand that Brian Cambell (brianc@cognos.uucp) has done this and
has diffs, but I have been unable to reach him (I guess, I've sent messages
to that address, but I have received no reply so I assume that he isn't
getting them).  Brian are you there?  Is there anyone else out their who
knows him or can reach him for me?  Is there anyone who has the Turbo C
diffs for Jove?  I know I can do the port, but it seems a shame to waste
all that time reinventing the wheel.  If you can help, please reply - thanks.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (att!cbnews!cbema!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave

brianc@sunray.UUCP (Brian Campbell) (05/05/89)

In article <6232@cbnews.ATT.COM> cbema!las@cbnews.ATT.COM (Larry A. Shurr) writes:
| In article <1989Apr17.230643.21642@tmsoft.uucp> woods@tmsoft.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
| > If you are looking for a good "micro-emacs", I'd suggest Jove4.12 (not
| > easy to port to SysV, but hopefully the next version will be).
|
| Hmmm...  True, I had to work at it, but I've got it working with SysV.  I
| guess I have to agree with you.  I would also like to port it to Turbo C.
| I understand that Brian Cambell (brianc@cognos.uucp) has done this and
| has diffs, but I have been unable to reach him (I guess, I've sent messages
| to that address, but I have received no reply so I assume that he isn't
| getting them).  Brian are you there?  Is there anyone else out their who
| knows him or can reach him for me?  Is there anyone who has the Turbo C
| diffs for Jove?  I know I can do the port, but it seems a shame to waste
| all that time reinventing the wheel.  If you can help, please reply - thanks.

I'm here.  I never did receive your message, but I did get some others
requesting diffs for Jove 4.12.  Unfortunately, the version I have
working with Turbo C is 4.9, which is also the latest version I have
available to me.  (Perhaps the README file should be fixed).

As I recall, the diffs were not that extensive.  Mostly fixing file
I/O stuff (like opening the temporary file in binary, and rewriting
directory search stuff).  Other than that, just make sure that all
routines which return pointers are declared as such (ints aren't the
same size as pointers in the large model).

I would appreciate it if someone could mail me the latest version of
Jove... we're unable to get it via ftp here.
--
Brian Campbell        uucp: uunet!mitel!sce!cognos!brianc
Cognos Incorporated   mail: POB 9707, 3755 Riverside Drive, Ottawa, K1G 3Z4

jim_d@cimcor.mn.org (Jim Dahlberg) (05/06/89)

> >If you are looking for a good "micro-emacs", I'd suggest Jove4.12 (not
> >easy to port to SysV, but hopefully the next version will be).
>
> Hmmm...  True, I had to work at it, but I've got it working with SysV.  I
> Signed: Larry A. Shurr (att!cbnews!cbema!las)
> (Please note my mailing address.  Mail sent to me on cbnews doesn't make it.)
..
..
..
..
Larry, I started to compile Jove 4.12 on our SysV, but also found it
difficult.  Unfortunately I really don't have time to work on it.
Fortunately, you have done it, so could you tell 'the net' how you did it?

I was unable to email to you, so I am posting.  But then others would
probably like to know too.

Thank you in advance.

   Jim Dahlberg
   UUCP:   uunet!rosevax!cimcor!jim_d

cag@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Chris Green) (05/10/89)

I cuurently use Jove (4.9??) on my PC so I am definitely interested in
getting the latest version and in getting a Turbo C port of it.  Does
anyone know if it is available in the UK anywhere, in original or
Turbo C form?

Chris Green		Always on CIX as:-               cgreen
                Currently at British Telecom:-   cag@planet.bt.co.uk
Being a contract programmer me and my company always agree with myself

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) (05/11/89)

In article <225@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk> cag@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Chris Green) writes:

    I cuurently use Jove (4.9??) on my PC so I am definitely interested in
    getting the latest version and in getting a Turbo C port of it.  Does
    anyone know if it is available in the UK anywhere, in original or
    Turbo C form?

No Turbo C form, but 4.12 can be had from kestrel.ukc.ac.uk, it is in their
uucpublic directory...
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

andre@targon.UUCP (andre) (05/12/89)

In article <931@aber-cs.UUCP> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>In article <225@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk> cag@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Chris Green) writes:
>    I cuurently use Jove (4.9??) on my PC so I am definitely interested in
>    getting the latest version and in getting a Turbo C port of it.  Does
>    anyone know if it is available in the UK anywhere, in original or
>    Turbo C form?
>
>No Turbo C form, but 4.12 can be had from kestrel.ukc.ac.uk, it is in their
>uucpublic directory...

I too use Jove 4.9 on Dos, I even went as far as porting it to Os/2.
I would like to get my hands on a Jove 4.12 source, but my login is
in Holland, this means only uucp connections. Is there any way for
me to get the 4.12 sources? are they going to be posted somewhere in the
future?

--
~----~ |m    AAA         DDDD  It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase.
~|d1|~@--   AA AAvv   vvDD  DD        Segment registers are for worms.