[comp.editors] Jove 4.9 or 4.12 for MS-DOS?

steve@aardvark.UUCP (Steve Willoughby) (05/17/89)

I've noticed a few people posting articles about using the JOVE editor on
MS-DOS systems.  I'm running JOVE 4.12 and 4.9 on a Sun Workstation, and had
no trouble getting it to compile under UNIX; however getting JOVE 4.12 to
compile under Microsoft C (5.0) is being a real pain; I suspect that the
makefile isn't quite up-to-date and possibly some of the #ifdef MSDOS's are
not right...  something... anyway, are there any easy fixes to get JOVE to
compile under DOS?

Or, better yet, are there any sites that archive the binaries for the MS-DOS
version?

Also, the copy of JOVE 4.12 that I got still contains the older 4.9
documentation.  Does the 4.12 documentation exist?  How about just a terse
description of the changes?

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Steve Willoughby		       | "What's 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1?"
    sun.COM!nosun!tessi!aardvark!steve | "I don't know," said Alice. "I lost
  uunet!tektronix!tessi!aardvark!steve | count."  "She can't do addition."

las) (05/19/89)

In article <117@aardvark.UUCP> steve@aardvark.UUCP () writes:
>...however getting JOVE 4.12 to
>compile under Microsoft C (5.0) is being a real pain; I suspect that the
>makefile isn't quite up-to-date and possibly some of the #ifdef MSDOS's are
>not right...  something... anyway, are there any easy fixes to get JOVE to
>compile under DOS?

There may be some problems with the order in which various symbols are
"#define'd".  This is certainly the case with the defines relevant to
System V.  I never did resolve all of the problems related to defines
and hence I apologized for the "hackiness" of my patches when I posted
them.  I have yet, however, to resolve the define problems in order to
get jove to compile interactive-process support (i.e., run a shell in
a window) using pipes for communication with the sub-process.  There
seems to be an unresolvable, or perhaps just an extremely-difficult-to-
resolve, problem with the order of "#defines" and "#includes" in the
.c and .h files.  My Sys V patches, therefore, do not activate this
feature.

I received e-mail from Jonathan Payne in response to my posting of
Sys V patches for Jove V4.12.  He told me that he hopes to resolve
some problems with his forthcoming "ANSI Certification" release.  He
said that he also hoped "...to make it run under msdos again."  Appar-
ently, V4.12 does not yet work under MSDOS, but he is working on it.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (cbema!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbema!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave

jpayne%flam@Sun.COM (Jonathan Payne) (05/19/89)

>I received e-mail from Jonathan Payne in response to my posting of
>Sys V patches for Jove V4.12.  He told me that he hopes to resolve
>some problems with his forthcoming "ANSI Certification" release.  He
>said that he also hoped "...to make it run under msdos again."  Appar-
>ently, V4.12 does not yet work under MSDOS, but he is working on it.
>
>regards, Larry
>--

Josh Sirota got the IBM PC version of JOVE running again, I think for MSC
5.1.  Also, most if not all of the ANSI C changes have been put in.  The
latest version of JOVE (but not quite official) is 4.13, available on
cs.rochester.edu by anonymous ftp, file = pub/jove.tar.4.13.Z.  Thanks,
Josh, for making the PC version work again.  Thanks, Hugh, for the ANSI C
changes, and basic code cleanup.

4.13 also is doing a little better in the documentation department.  In
other words, all the commands and variables that weren't documented are
now documented.  That should help the frustration level.  Thanks, me, for
that little tidbit.

I'm still toying with the idea of writing another JOVE from scratch, but,
GOD, there must be things other than text editors, right?

Have a nice day.

JP

jes@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Joe Smith) (05/22/89)

If I'm not mistaken (pretty likely, actually), Jove hasn't worked
under DOS since about 4.8b (I know that works).  The later versions
seem to compile but crash immediately after loading.  I'm not sure
about 4.9.  Read the fine print in the installation notes.  This would
be a real loss if 4.8b didn't work as well as it does.  I'm only aware
of one nasty bug (fill-paragraph fills the entire buffer).

<Joe
--
 Joe Smith
 University of Pennsylvania                    jes@mbio.med.upenn.edu