[comp.editors] paragraph blocking

como@max.bnl.gov (Andrew T. Como) (08/29/89)

	Can someone help me with an emacs or jove question? I have a
paper already typed up and need to block it to 50 or so columns. 72 or
80 columns is too large for the fonts I am using.

	Is there a way to truncate the number of words in a paragraph
and fill it so it looks good and still give me 50 columns.

		como@bnl.gov
BITNET:		como@bnl.BITNET
UUCP:		....philabs!sbcs!bnl!como

mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) (09/01/89)

In article <1437@bnlux0.bnl.gov> como@max.bnl.gov (Andrew T. Como) writes:

>	Can someone help me with an emacs or jove question? I have a
>paper already typed up and need to block it to 50 or so columns. 72 or
>80 columns is too large for the fonts I am using.
>
>	Is there a way to truncate the number of words in a paragraph
>and fill it so it looks good and still give me 50 columns.

One great thing about EMACS-like editors is the online and built-in
documentation.  Take JOVE, for instance (since you requested it).
Try:

	M-X apropos fill

And you'll see that there's "fill-region" and "fill-paragraph."
"fill-paragraph" is probably what you want.  (It's normally bound to
M-J.)  Set your right margin to the desired page width;

	M-X set right-margin 50

Set your cursor on a paragraph that you want to fill, and type ESC J
and watch it fill.  It's a great boon to text editing (I've done it
several times typing in this note.)

Note that many editors have fill-paragraph features.  One of the first
macros I wrote for my TED editor (a CP/M teco) was this function.
Want it?  :-)

-mm-
--
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett