[comp.editors] file too large

In article <FISCHER.89Sep17141429@rosser.iesd.auc.dk> fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) writes:
| In article <2388@netcom.UUCP> beaulieu@netcom.UUCP (Bob Beaulieu) writes:
| >I have a text file that is very large (26,000+ lines) and would like
| >to break it down to 5-6 smaller files. Is there an easy way to handle
| >this? I have tried vi but, it seems to hold 5000 lines in its buffer.
| >The same goes for ed and ex.
|
| Try emacs(1). Handles files with up to 2^31 characters.

And apparently allocates it all as an array at startup time.  8-)

				--Blair
				  "Well, that's how it _seems_."

jbw@bucsf.bu.edu (Joe Wells) (09/20/89)

   In article <FISCHER.89Sep17141429@rosser.iesd.auc.dk> fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) writes:
   | In article <2388@netcom.UUCP> beaulieu@netcom.UUCP (Bob Beaulieu) writes:
   | >I have a text file that is very large (26,000+ lines) and would like
   | >to break it down to 5-6 smaller files. Is there an easy way to handle
   | >this? I have tried vi but, it seems to hold 5000 lines in its buffer.
   | >The same goes for ed and ex.
   |
   | Try emacs(1). Handles files with up to 2^31 characters.

I don't know the Emacs to which you are referring, but GNU Emacs will have
problems with files greater than 2^23 characters long.  You can still edit
such a file, but GNU Emacs Lisp only supports signed integers with values
up to 2^23, so many normal operations will produce incorrect results.

--
Joe Wells <jbw@bucsf.bu.edu>
jbw%bucsf.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu

jwl@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (James Wilbur Lewis) (09/20/89)

In article <2388@netcom.UUCP> beaulieu@netcom.UUCP (Bob Beaulieu) writes:
>I have a text file that is very large (26,000+ lines) and would like
>to break it down to 5-6 smaller files. Is there an easy way to handle
>this?

Try split(1).

-- Jim Lewis
   U.C. Berkeley

ken@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Ken Johnson) (09/20/89)

> In article <2388@netcom.UUCP> beaulieu@netcom.UUCP (Bob Beaulieu) writes:
> >I have a text file that is very large (26,000+ lines) and would like
> >to break it down to 5-6 smaller files. Is there an easy way to handle
> >this?

Use split(1).

-- Ken

--
Ken Johnson, AI Applications Institute, 80 South Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1HN
E-mail ken@aiai.ed.ac.uk, phone 031-225 4464 extension 212

jerry@altos86.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (09/21/89)

In article <4246@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
> In article <2388@netcom.UUCP> beaulieu@netcom.UUCP (Bob Beaulieu) writes:
> I have a text file that is very large (26,000+ lines) and would like
> to break it down to 5-6 smaller files. Is there an easy way to handle

On Unix this is simple:

	split -5000 filename

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos86!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway