[comp.editors] Vi emulation on VMS?

uucibg@swbatl.UUCP (3929) (10/05/89)

I do *NOT* want to start another editor war, but I've recently started doing
some work on a DEC machine running VMS.  My preferred editor is VI (and no I
will not discuss why :-).  If anyone knows of any vi-modes for VAXTPU or
EDT or EVE or whatever, I'd really, really, really appreciate it (learning a
new editor is such a time consuming process and I don't have much time right
now).

Please email responses to me and I'll be happy to post a summary if there's
enough interest.

Thanks,
Brian R. Gilstrap    ...!{ {killer,bellcore}!texbell, uunet }!swbatl!uucibg
One Bell Center      +----------------------------------------------------------
Rm 17-G-4            | "Winnie-the-Pooh read the two notices very carefully,
St. Louis, MO 63101  | first from left to right, and afterwards, in case he had
(314) 235-3929       | missed some of it, from right to left."   -- A. A. Milne
Disclaimer:
Me, speak for my company?  You must be joking.  I'm just speaking my mind.

gregg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (gregg.g.wonderly) (10/06/89)

From article <840@swbatl.UUCP>, by uucibg@swbatl.UUCP (3929):
> I do *NOT* want to start another editor war, but I've recently started doing
> some work on a DEC machine running VMS.  My preferred editor is VI (and no I
> will not discuss why :-).  If anyone knows of any vi-modes for VAXTPU or
> EDT or EVE or whatever, I'd really, really, really appreciate it (learning a
> new editor is such a time consuming process and I don't have much time right
> now).

I wrote a fairly extenive emulation of VI under TPU while at school.
It is in wide use at a lot of different places.  You can get the latest
information on obtaining it by sending mail to one of the following two
addresses.

	vi-req@nemo.math.okstate.edu

or

	vi-req@a.cs.okstate.edu

--
-----
gregg.g.wonderly@att.com   (AT&T bell laboratories)

rvireday@pldote.intel.com (~Richard Vireday) (10/07/89)

In article <840@swbatl.UUCP> uucibg@swbatl.UUCP (Brian Gilstrap - UCI - 5-3929) writes:
>....... If anyone knows of any vi-modes for VAXTPU or
>EDT or EVE or whatever, I'd really, really, really appreciate it ...

If your site has a copy of the EUNICE stuff, I found the vi editor there
to work ok under raw VMess.  That was about only useful thing I ever had
on that OS.  Forget EDT.  (I did! :-)

FYI: EUNICE was a set of *NIX-like tools for VMS.  Worked okay, but it was a dog
     in terms of performance.  Except for vi, most of the other tools didn't do
     too well under raw VMS.

--Richard Vireday

Sorry for the followup, but a working Email path would take too long to figure out.