[comp.editors] Cannot start WordPerfect on my pc6300

sokol@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (anatoly.s.belkin) (10/23/89)

I am trying to use a WordPerfect 5.0 on my ATT PC 6300 and the problem I have is
after I start WP it brings up the first screen then says "Wait a moment" and never
comes back, hanging my machine. I tried this version on my friends pc and it works
fine. Had anyone ever see similar problems and what is the solution?

Here is some more info on my system:

	8086 based ATT PC 6300
	Momochrome monitor
	640 K RAM
	30 Meg Hard disk
	WordPerfect 4.0 works fine
	All dignostics of memeory and mother board pass
	I am running DOS vesion 3.1

Tony Belkin
ihnp4!ihuxv!sokol
312-979-0791

jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (10/24/89)

anatoly.s.belkin writes:

> I am trying to use a WordPerfect 5.0 on my ATT PC 6300 and
> the problem I have is after I start WP it brings up
> the first screen then says "Wait a moment" and never
> comes back, hanging my machine. I tried this version on
> my friends pc and it works fine. Had anyone ever see
> similar problems and what is the solution?

On the AT&T PC6300 you seem to need either the /nk or /nc
switch on the command line. I don't remember which one is
the critical one, and I have both in by wp.bat file that
I use to start wp. I found this by experimenting.

Jim Winer -- The opinions expressed here are not necessarily
	     and do not represent nor in any way imply
	     of any other sane person and especially not
	     employer.
"It's monosyllabic, short, easy to pronounce, and offensive
to a large segment of the population." -- Karen the perpetually confused

kishan_s@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Sandeep Kishan) (10/27/89)

In article <2523@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> sokol@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (anatoly.s.belkin) writes:

>I am trying to use a WordPerfect 5.0 on my ATT PC 6300 and the problem I have is
>after I start WP it brings up the first screen then says "Wait a moment" and never
>comes back, hanging my machine. I tried this version on my friends pc and it works
>fine. Had anyone ever see similar problems and what is the solution?
>
>Here is some more info on my system:
>
>	8086 based ATT PC 6300
>	Momochrome monitor
>	640 K RAM
>	30 Meg Hard disk
>	WordPerfect 4.0 works fine
>	All dignostics of memeory and mother board pass
>	I am running DOS vesion 3.1

According to the WP 5.0 manual:  "If the screen or keyboard freezes when you
are entering WordPerfect, you may need to use one or both of the following
startup options:  /NC, /NK."

You would enter WP/NC or WP/NK when you start.

NC:  "disables the Cursor Speed feature.  In rare instances, Cursor Speed
     may conflict with TSR [terminate and stay resident] software or
     some hardware.  This is especially useful when WordPerfect does not
     start up at all."

NK:  "disables enhanced keyboard calls which are not recognized by some
     compatables and TSR . . . programs.  This option is especially helpful
     if you are having trouble getting WordPerfect to start up (e.g.
     WordPerfect comes up and locks up)."

My guess is that the NK command will work for you.  Instead of invoking
WordPerfect with "WP", start it with "WP/NK".

Hope it works.

Best wishes,

Sandeep Kishan                     KISHAN_S@JHUNIX.HCF.JHU.EDU
"The answer to the life, universe and everything  . . . .  42."