[comp.editors] Re^n: vi

rpandey@mist.cs.orst.edu (Rajeev Pandey) (11/22/89)

kevin@ttidca.TTI.COM (Kevin Carothers) writes:
> Does anyone remember the name of the DEC editor that had that spiffy
>  "learn" mode?  It seems that would be easy as stink to add to Vi and would
> make vi the "ultimate" macro-easy editor.

 Someone already posted one suggestion, but I will post another: TECO/VT.
 One of the best editors of all time! I loved the learn mode. It seemed to
 be able to do a lot of stuff that one cannot do with any common editor making
 the rounds these days......(I seem to recall TECO came on the DECUS
 distribution tapes, so it may not have been a DEC product).

jka@hpfcso.HP.COM (Jay Adams) writes:
> This man's problem isn't that he hasn't learned vi, its that he drinks
> COKE -- gross, give me a break.  Pepsi is far superior to Coke.
> "Still workin' on a 'M-x get-me-a-pepsi' command for emacs."

 Actually, the Computer Language magazine did a product review of caffeinated
 beverages in (I believe) the April issue: Mountain Dew came out on top, and
 Coke placed ahead of Pepsi :-)
 (Oh, no! A "tastes great, less filling" war over pop! :-)

 Currently, I'm almost forced to use the following editors:
  vi and emacs on UNIX machines
  edt on VAX/VMS machines
  xedit on VM/CMS machines

 [ Jay, when you get the M-x get-me-a-pepsi command going, I'll switch
   completely to emacs ;-) ]

 I just take it in stride and use 'em. Maybe we need an ANSI standard editor
 ....but would it be modeless or not? Emacs does blah, blah, blah while vi
 does blah, blah, blah......maybe this discussion is useful.
--

--------
Department of Computer Science    |   Rajeev "Raju" Pandey

SYSNET@cc.nu.oz (David Morrison) (12/01/89)

In article <13931@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, rpandey@mist.cs.orst.edu (Rajeev Pandey) writes:
> kevin@ttidca.TTI.COM (Kevin Carothers) writes:
>> Does anyone remember the name of the DEC editor that had that spiffy
>>  "learn" mode?  It seems that would be easy as stink to add to Vi and would
>> make vi the "ultimate" macro-easy editor.
>
>  Someone already posted one suggestion, but I will post another: TECO/VT.
>  One of the best editors of all time! I loved the learn mode. It seemed to
>  be able to do a lot of stuff that one cannot do with any common editor making
>  the rounds these days......(I seem to recall TECO came on the DECUS
>  distribution tapes, so it may not have been a DEC product).

Not only TECO/VT.  Teco in any form allows you to learn restrospectively:
type in a sequence of commands followed by ESC ESC (the normal command
terminator), then *(register name) and the whole sequence is saved in the
register.  The register contents can be executed at will.  BTW, 36 registers
can be used.
--
David Morrison, Network Manager, Uni of Newcastle, Australia
Try sysnet@cc.nu.oz.au or sysnet@cc.nu.oz  (mail only)