[comp.editors] eqn matrices

fc121102@gwusun.gwu.edu (M. J. Lamoureux) (11/21/89)

	I'm having somewhat of a ridiculous problem with eqn.  I've tried
under SunOS 3.4 & 4.0 to no avail.  I can't seem to get eqn to parse the
matrix command.  It just chokes and says syntax error.  I've even tried
copying the examples from the manual.  Is this a documented problem, or am I
just an idiot?  Could someone send me a working example of an eqn matrix.
	While I'm asking, does anyone know how to get a multiplication dot in
eqn or troff?  I tried \(m. but that doesn't work.  Am I just SOL?

Thanks

PS.  The vi macro summary is in draft, and should be out by friday.

Michael Lamoureux
fc121102@gwusun.gwu.edu
lamour@smiley.mitre.org

kenmoore@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore) (11/28/89)

In article <1526@gwusun.gwu.edu> fc121102@gwusun.gwu.edu (Michael J. Lamoureux) writes:

==>	I'm having somewhat of a ridiculous problem with eqn.  I've tried
==>under SunOS 3.4 & 4.0 to no avail.  I can't seem to get eqn to parse the
==>matrix command.  It just chokes and says syntax error.

One problem may be that you are not forcing a break page. Try a

.bp

at the end of the page you are having trouble in. I got in the habit of
doing this and avoided many problems.

Another problem I have encountered is that the matrix must be under a
certain dimension. Try a 3x3 to start and work your way up.

Also, try the size command. Something like:

.EQ
size 8 {expression}
.EN

to reduce the size of the characters.

==>	While I'm asking, does anyone know how to get a multiplication dot in
==>eqn or troff?  I tried \(m. but that doesn't work.  Am I just SOL?

Isn't this one of the special symbols like "dot"? i.e.

.EQ
X dot Y
.EN

==>Thanks
==>
==>Michael Lamoureux

I have used eqn under sun 3.4 and 4.0 with no problems.

Take these answers with a grain of salt as I haven't used eqn in a
while. But they may put you in the ball park.

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (12/03/89)

kenmoore@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore) writes:
> <1526@gwusun.gwu.edu> fc121102@gwusun.gwu.edu (Michael J. Lamoureux) writes:
> ==>I can't seem to get eqn to parse the
> ==>matrix command.  It just chokes and says syntax error.
>
> One problem may be that you are not forcing a break page.
Well, that (and the other things you describe) might cause problems,
but not a syntax error from eqn.

Some common problems are:
* Using tabs -- tabs are not white-space in eqn, tbl, troff etc
* getting braces wrong
* using "over" instead of "above" inside a column
* leaving off the ccol (or rcol, etc)

A matrix looks like
.EQ
matrix {
 ccol { a above b }
 ccol { b above d }
}

Using a tab before "ccol" will get you a syntax error, as will leaving out
the { after "matrix".

> Also, try the size command. Something like:
> .EQ
> size 8 {expression}
> .EN
> to reduce the size of the characters.
You should never have to do this -- your troff sounds broken!

> ==>	While I'm asking, does anyone know how to get a multiplication dot in
> ==>eqn or troff?  I tried \(m. but that doesn't work.  Am I just SOL?
> X dot Y

X dot Y				X cdot Y

   .					(the . is at the x-height, not the
   XY				X . Y    baseline, but I can't show that!)

> Take these answers with a grain of salt as I haven't used eqn in a
> while. But they may put you in the ball park.

Hope the above comments help.  I originally sent them by mail (along with
some other "eqn" tips), but it seems worth posting judging by the number
of follow-ups.

Lee
--
Liam R. Quin, Unixsys (UK) Ltd [note: not an employee of "sq" - a visitor!]
lee@sq.com (Whilst visiting Canada from England, until Christmas)