[comp.editors] What does novice do in vi?

mercer@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) (11/28/89)

What does the vi set option 'novice' do?  My vi comes up nonovice.
You can not set novice as you get "vice: No such option - 'set all'
gives all option values".  So I used my binary editor superzap
to change novice to nevice,  but after setting nevice I couldn't
detect any changes.  Anyone know what it's supposed to do?

--

Dan Mercer

maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) (11/29/89)

In article <1756@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> mercer@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) writes:
\What does the vi set option 'novice' do?  My vi comes up nonovice.
\You can not set novice as you get "vice: No such option - 'set all'
\gives all option values".  [...]

If you invoke vi (ex) as `edit', the option will probably be turned on and
the `report' option would be set to a low value (2) and the `magic' option
would be turned off.
--
`Take John Berryhill: the guy is everywhere!  All because one day he typed "rn"
instead of [rm]'  (Richard Sexton)  | maart@cs.vu.nl, uunet!mcsun!botter!maart

sanders@sanders.austin.ibm.com (Tony Sanders) (11/29/89)

In article <1756@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> mercer@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) writes:
>What does the vi set option 'novice' do?  My vi comes up nonovice.
>You can not set novice as you get "vice: No such option - 'set all'
>gives all option values".  So I used my binary editor superzap
>to change novice to nevice,  but after setting nevice I couldn't
>detect any changes.  Anyone know what it's supposed to do?
When you invoke ex/vi as vedit it puts you in "novice" mode.

When novice is set you can only use the line editor mode.
I think it's just thrown in to confuse the novice :-)

-- sanders
Thought should exist outside any governmental framework.

gaynor@busboys.rutgers.edu (Silver) (11/29/89)

What a novice SHOULD do in vi is ":q!", and start up a decent emacs.

Moi?  Biased?  Nah.  [Ag]

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) (11/29/89)

gaynor@busboys.rutgers.edu (Silver) says:
|What a novice SHOULD do in vi is ":q!", and start up a decent emacs.
But then she/he will NEVER learn the real thing!
|Moi?  Biased?  Nah.  [Ag]
Or me?  No I am.  Aren't these editor wars just wonderful :-)
--
Bjorn Engsig,	Domain:		bengsig@oracle.nl, bengsig@oracle.com
		Path:		uunet!mcsun!orcenl!bengsig

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (12/04/89)

Dan Mercer (mercer@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM) wrote:
>What does the vi set option 'novice' do?
I am not sure (it is only on System V.3 versions of vi, I think), but
it set if you are in edit, and not if you are in vi.

The man page for "edit" in V.3.2 notes that NOVICE is set to ON, and
you really can do
	:set novice
and
	:set nonovice
although I have no idea what they do either, as they are -- like most of
the ex :set options -- not discussed in the V.3 documentation (some of the
options are on the "ex" man page, but only a few).

It is a shame that the original vi documentation is not included, and a
bigger shame that it was not both included and kept up to date [0.5 :-)].

Lee
--
Liam R. Quin, Unixsys (UK) Ltd [note: not an employee of "sq" - a visitor!]
lee@sq.com (Whilst visiting Canada from England, until Christmas)