[comp.editors] JOVE 4.1[34] and tab stops

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (12/20/89)

wlr@beach.cis.ufl.edu (William Ricker) writes:
>In article <867@mti.mti.com> dave@mti.UUCP (Dave Stuit) writes:
>>My questions to the net:  Is this a known problem?  Has it been fixed in
>>4.14?  (What changes were made between 4.13 and 14?)

First, yes, this bug is fixed in 4.14.

>Summary says it all. On the topic of tabs in C-mode, I find the
>implementation in the 4.13 brain dead. I would much prefer the old way
>of setting internal-tabstop. This is how all other editors I use work,
>and backspacing works correctly, i.e., delete-previous-character at the
>beginning of a line, moves to the previous indentation level.  Anybody
>know if c-mode tabbing can be easily disabled?

There are now two variables controlling this -- the all new, improved
c-indentation-increment decides the number of character positions to
indent by (the default is 8) and the internal-tabstop variable that
still determines how many positions apart the tab stops are (default
is 8) (There's also the variable physical-tabstop, which is only
needed on terminals that don't have tab stops spaced 8 characters
apart. Best left alone) These variables are orthogonal.

Possibilities:

use the default settings. Every time you hit TAB in c-mode, the
present indent value increases by c-indentation-increment, which
happens to be one tabstop so Jove uses a tab. This was also the
default behaviour in older Joves when internal tabstop was at its
default value of 8.

set c-indentation-increment to 4. Every time you hit TAB in c-mode, the
present indent value increases by c-indentation-increment, for which
Jove uses four spaces and a tab alternately. (This is the new feature
-- and it is useful for those times when you get code formatted this
way)

set both internal-tabstop and c-indentation-increment to 4. Every time
you hit TAB in c-mode, the present indent value increases by
c-indentation-increment, which happens to be one tabstop so Jove uses
a tab. This is equivalent to the old behaviour obtained by only
setting internal-tabstop.

At this point I'm getting fairly confused, so I'll leave it to the
interested (and hopefully less confused) reader to continue this
chain...