[comp.editors] Jove

jhc@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (03/09/89)

In article <12524@vaxnix.UUCP> ron@vaxnix.UUCP (Ron Light) writes:
>In article <137@estevax_a.UUCP> lea362@estevax_a.UUCP (Hr Lea Iain ) writes:
>:
>:  I have been using and evaluating the JOVE (Ver. 4.9) editor  for
>:the last few weeks on a Xenix 386 PC and a Vax DSD4.3 and am quite
>:pleased with the product.
>:
>:  2)  On the Vax i have a Wyse wy85  terminal set to  emulate a vt100.
>:      I have  tried to  configure  the keyboard to my tastes and  have
>:      been less than successful. I have tried to bind-to-key commands
>:      with the numeric keypad and also the four cursor keys. In respect
>:      to the cursor keys i have been able to use the Prefix-3 command
>:      in my .joverc file at startup. The problem as far as i can tell
>:      is that the keypad and cursor keys seem to generate a 3 byte code
>:      instead of the normal 2 byte code. Has any one an idea how i can
>:      use the keypad, cursor keys and function keys to execute commands ?
>
>Jove will *only* accept two characters for any command, (i.e. ESC letter).
>Since some terminals output "ESC [ A" for an arrow key, jove complains that
>ESC [ is not bound and then inserts the A as text.  What you'll have to do
>is to hack jove to bind ESC [ to go off to a (you build it) function that
>will get the next letter and move the cursor based on that letter.  This
>will make your version HIGHLY terminal dependent, but at least the arrow
>keys will work.  Other terminals that have a problem are ones that output
>the arrow keys as "DEL letter"

Or, you could always get version 4.12 of JOVE (cs.rochester.edu has it
available for anon ftp) which has a new set of functions that allow creation
of key-maps, which can be bound to any key.  Thus, you create a keymap, bind
it to ^[[, and then bind functions and/or macros to the characters in that
keymap; ie bind-to-key next-line ^[[B.  Remember, though, JOVE puts ansi
type terminals in application mode, so that the numeric keyboard can be used
for functions if you wish.  Versions 4.9 and earlier only supported the
arrow keys (bind-to-key ansi-codes ^[O was needed to activate this); with
user defineable keymaps.  Now, you need to bind you keymap to (for ansi
terms) ^[[ and ^[O and then bind previous-line, next-line, forward-char &
backward-char to both \^\[\[[A-D] and \^\[O[A-D] (using regular
expressions). Then bind the functions you want the numeric keypad to produce
to ^[O*, where * is the letter corresponding to that key, such as m for
ENTER.  Oh, and the functions you bind to the PF keys should also be bound
to both ^[[* and ^[O*.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.          "Entropy isn't what it used to be."
jhc@Crnlvax5.BITNET            --c/o Fortune @ batcomputer.UUCP

michaelk@copper.MDP.TEK.COM (Michael D. Kersenbrock) (03/10/89)

<>:
<>:  2)  On the Vax i have a Wyse wy85  terminal set to  emulate a vt100.
<>:      I have  tried to  configure  the keyboard to my tastes and  have
<>:      been less than successful. I have tried to bind-to-key commands
<>:      with the numeric keypad and also the four cursor keys. In respect
<>:      to the cursor keys i have been able to use the Prefix-3 command
<>:      in my .joverc file at startup. The problem as far as i can tell
<>:      is that the keypad and cursor keys seem to generate a 3 byte code
<>:      instead of the normal 2 byte code. Has any one an idea how i can
<>:      use the keypad, cursor keys and function keys to execute commands ?
<>
<>Jove will *only* accept two characters for any command, (i.e. ESC letter).
<>Since some terminals output "ESC [ A" for an arrow key, jove complains that

Not true.  I use Jove Version 4.9 (as I type this) , and my .joverc contains:

bind-to-key prefix-3 ^[[
bind-to-key execute-named-command ^[[A
bind-to-key apropos ^[[B
bind-to-key pop-mark ^[[C
bind-to-key next-window ^[[D
bind-to-key scroll-left ^[[E
bind-to-key scroll-right ^[[F
 .
 .
 .
etc

and that works fine (on a "ansi" Tektronix 4105).
--
Mike Kersenbrock
Tektronix Microcomputer Development Products

wlr@beach.cis.ufl.edu (William Ricker) (07/28/89)

Hello,

I'm currently using jove release 4.9 on my microport SysV/AT system. I
would like to get jove running under dos using TurboC 2.0. Anybody
done this? If so, could you e-mail me the code?  Laking that, can
anybody recommend a good PD emacs clone for dos?

Thanks in advance
bill
--
Bill Ricker                                wlr@vlsi2.ee.ufl.edu
141 Turkey Creek                          wlr@beach.cis.ufl.edu

paj@dlcq15.datlog.co.uk (Paul Jarrett) (01/03/90)

We have quite a few fans of JOVE (Jonathan's Own Version Of Emacs) 4.9
here. It works well on PC's, uVax's, etc. I wonder,
Is Jove still available in any form and is there a more recent version any
where ?

	Paul Jarrett (paj@datlog.co.uk or {backbone}ukc!datlog!paj)

cag@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Chris Green,SSTF,5788,) (01/05/90)

From article <1990Jan3.135835.6943@dlcq15.datlog.co.uk>, by paj@dlcq15.datlog.co.uk (Paul Jarrett):

> We have quite a few fans of JOVE (Jonathan's Own Version Of Emacs) 4.9
> here. It works well on PC's, uVax's, etc. I wonder,
> Is Jove still available in any form and is there a more recent version any
> where ?

Jove is up to version 4.14 now, this version is available
from Lancaster's PD software archives.  The version there has compiled
executables for IBM PC but also all the source for use on other
systems.  Mail me if you want more information on how to get it.

Chris Green
	chris@kbss.bt.co.uk or cag@planet.bt.co.uk or cgreen@ibmpcug.co.uk

shurr@cbnews.ATT.COM (Larry A. Shurr) (01/06/90)

In article <1990Jan3.135835.6943@dlcq15.datlog.co.uk> paj@dlcq15.datlog.co.uk (Paul Jarrett) writes:
>We have quite a few fans of JOVE (Jonathan's Own Version Of Emacs) 4.9
>here. It works well on PC's, uVax's, etc. I wonder,
>Is Jove still available in any form and is there a more recent version any
>where ?

Version 4.14 is available from Simtel-20:

	pd1:<msdos.editor>j414doc.arc	(118665 bytes)
	pd1:<msdos.editor>j414exe.arc	(141108 bytes)
	pd1:<msdos.editor>j414src.arc	(351831 bytes)

The DOS executable works very nicely.  I have not tried to build V4.14 on
any of the Sys V systems here at the labs.  I'm still using V4.13 for which
I posted patches last year.  Since my contract ends Jan 31, I don't know if
I'll still be here.  If I am, or if I still have access to the net, I will
eventually bring it up.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (cbema!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbema!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave