[comp.editors] understanding vi

ludo@uts.amdahl.com (Ludo Vennekens) (01/03/90)

Hi, I am confused about vi's 8bit capability.
I was using vi on a vt230 with a Danish keyboard, and get <xxx>
(octal code) displayed when I type one of the danish national characters.
Is there a way to make it understand that this is indeed a printable
national character and have it returned without turning it into
gobbledygook ? As it turns out all of these characters need 8 bits to be
represented, and vi seems to preserve the eigth bit, but does not know
if displaying it is ok as far as I can see. I am by no means proficient
in C, so the source for vi did not get me any answers because of the
volume of code and the slow line I have.
--
				Ludo J. M. Vennekens
				(408) 737-5074

[English  : People at Amdahl speak for themselves on the net]
[Dutch    : Mensen van Amdahl spreken voor zichzelf op het net]
[French   : Les gens d'Amdahl parlent pour soi-memes sur le reseau]
[German   : Die Leute von Amdahl sprechen fuer sich selbst auf dem Netz]
[Esperanto: Homoj ^ce Amdahl parolas por ili mem sur la reto]

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (01/05/90)

In article <d98Z02tC7avA01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, ludo@uts.amdahl.com (Ludo Vennekens) writes:

    Hi, I am confused about vi's 8bit capability.
    I was using vi on a vt230 with a Danish keyboard, and get <xxx>
    (octal code) displayed when I type one of the danish national characters.
    Is there a way to make it understand that this is indeed a printable
    national character and have it returned without turning it into
    gobbledygook ?

Not as far as I know, at least not in SysV R3.1. But as soon as you
hit Return or Escape, the octal gobbledygook should become the real
8-bit characters. Just make sure the tty driver is set to cs8 -parenb
-istrip and it should work.

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB

>    Hi, I am confused about vi's 8bit capability.
>    I was using vi on a vt230 with a Danish keyboard, and get <xxx>
>    (octal code) displayed when I type one of the danish national characters.
>    Is there a way to make it understand that this is indeed a printable
>    national character and have it returned without turning it into
>    gobbledygook ?
>
>Not as far as I know, at least not in SysV R3.1. But as soon as you
>hit Return or Escape, the octal gobbledygook should become the real
>8-bit characters.

Sounds like the symptoms I saw when bringing up the S5R3.1 "vi" for
SunOS 4.1, which I was doing precisely because it *could* handle 8-bit
characters....

The problem turned out to be either that 1) it hadn't yet been modified
to use the ANSI C "setlocale" routine (AT&T invented their own
internationalization routines for S5R3.1, we used the ANSI C interfaces
instead) or 2) I hadn't set LANG or set up a default language to pick the
ISO Latin #1 character set.  1) wouldn't apply on a vanilla S5 system,
so I suspect the problem is 2); you have to set CHRCLASS to refer to a
file specifying the settings for the CTYPE(3C) macros for ISO Latin #1 -
the default is ASCII, and S5R3.1 seems to supply *only* a file for
ASCII, not for ISO Latin #1 (I had to make up such a file for SunOS
4.1).

Unfortunately, since they don't, in fact, supply such a file in S5R3.1,
you may have to make one up yourself and compile it using the "chrtbl"
utility (which I *hope* they documented), and then point CHRCLASS at it.
Various of their national language environments for European countries
may come with such a file, but I don't know if they have a Danish
version....