[comp.editors] Forth window system interface

> Please, no!  Aaaaargh!  vi has the most baroque command syntax of any
> screen editor I know.  Let's not do anything to propagate it!

While there are valid reasons to complain about VI, the command syntax is
not one of them. The limited macros, all the confusing shortcuts, and the
heavy line-orientation are problems. The command syntax, which is almost
universally <count>command<range>, is not. In fact, it's cleaner than the
comand structure of any other screen editor I've seen yet. Certainly it's
better than Emacs' ad-hockery.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \ Also <peter@ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>

sanders@sanders.austin.ibm.com (Tony Sanders) (01/10/90)

In article <QZ.I.Bggpc2@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> Please, no!  Aaaaargh!  vi has the most baroque command syntax of any
>> screen editor I know.  Let's not do anything to propagate it!
Thank you for that well thought out and thought provoking sediment[sic].
You are obviously well versed in the rhetoric of persuasion. :-)

>While there are valid reasons to complain about VI, the command syntax is
>not one of them. The limited macros, all the confusing shortcuts, and the
>heavy line-orientation are problems. The command syntax, which is almost
>universally <count>command<range>, is not. In fact, it's cleaner than the
>comand structure of any other screen editor I've seen yet. Certainly it's
>better than Emacs' ad-hockery.
True.  Sadly this syntax isn't more consistent within vi (like '~') but
it's the exception rather than the rule.  I would hope things would
evolve towards being more internaly consistent.

The use of "baroque" to describe a command syntax is kind of baroque
in itself.  Isn't it kind of neat the way that works.

                      `
viva la vi --  guerre a outrance         :-)

-- sanders
"He was arrested for contributing to the the misuse of the word engineer."