[comp.editors] CRISP editor

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) (02/19/90)

   Recently there was some discussion on comp.editors of a BRIEF
clone called CRISP (formerly called GRIEF) that was posted to
comp.sources.misc around the middle of last year. Has anyone
compiled this for the AT&T unix-pc/7300/3b1? It sounded like the
source was pretty huge, and I have a slow modem, so It would be
nice if I could get a binary from someone. My impression is that
most 3b1 people use emacs, though...

==================
zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean)
{harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!zaphod
                           {decvax|att}!

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) in <1125@madnix.UUCP> writes:

	   Recently there was some discussion on comp.editors of a BRIEF
	clone called CRISP (formerly called GRIEF) that was posted to
	comp.sources.misc around the middle of last year. Has anyone
	compiled this for the AT&T unix-pc/7300/3b1? It sounded like the
	source was pretty huge, and I have a slow modem, so It would be
	nice if I could get a binary from someone. My impression is that
	most 3b1 people use emacs, though...

I remembered seeing CRISP cross the net last year, so I checked my archives.
Hmmm, wasn't on any of the UNIX systems, but I found it on one of my Amigas:

CLI2> ls -l pdl:usenet/src/*crisp*
----ar--- 89-03-20 04:10:40   20     9854 crisp-src-vms-&-other-systems
----ar--- 89-03-20 02:05:28   95    47926 crisp-src.01of29
----ar--- 89-03-20 02:15:56   95    47624 crisp-src.02of29
----ar--- 89-03-20 04:06:15  101    50819 crisp-src.28of29
----ar--- 89-03-20 04:08:22   39    19463 crisp-src.29of29
Dirs:0    Files:30   Blocks:2667  Bytes:1342830
CLI2> ls -l pdl:3b1/src/*crisp*
----ar--- 89-03-20 00:56:48   14     7002 crisp-diffs
Dirs:0    Files:1    Blocks:14    Bytes:7002
CLI2>

Not quite as large as GNU Emacs' 12+ MB, but big none-the-less.  I never
have enough free disk to compile all the goodies I'd like to play with, so
I suggest you get the 29-part posting from a local archive site.

NOTE, however, the file "crisp-diffs".  That contains the necessary changes
required to compile on the UNIXPC per the following:

	From: john@hcr.UUCP (John R. MacMillan)
	Newsgroups: unix-pc.general,comp.sys.att
	Subject: Re: CRISP on the UNIXPC
	Date: 11 Mar 89 21:50:51 GMT

	In article <576@ivucsb.UUCP> todd@ivucsb.UUCP writes:
	|Anyone get the recently posted CRISP editor to run on the
	|UNIXPC?  Seems like it was made to run on PC boxes running
	|UNIX.  I tried hacking at it, but got nowhere.

	Well, I got it running without too much trouble on the UNIXpc and
	somewhat more trouble on a SysV box with a variety of terminals
	(vt100, v50, and even a vc4404).

If anyone needs a copy of the above file (note: 7K), lemme know and I'll
email it to you since that file is probably not at any archive site.  My
offer is for that ONE file ONLY!  If someone has the space to compile it
all on a 3B1, I'd be happy to arrange to transfer the sources to you and
have you arrange binary distribution and/or archiving (at osu-cis ?).

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]