[comp.editors] editing with vi

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (02/22/90)

In article <10762@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, mldenny@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael L. Denny) writes:

> I am looking for a book that would service as a tutorial type manual for
> the editor vi.  The editor at my new job is vi, they have no other editor
> available so books on only vi would be most appreciated!

The only two books I know of that are strictly on VI are:

	VI Tutorial (ISBN 0-916151-37-9) published by SSC (the
	company I work for).  It is designed to get you going on VI,
	covering everything from the basics through some fairly fancy
	stuff.  It is pocket sized (8-1/2" x 3-1/2" - 60pp) and is designed
	to complement our VI Reference Card which is comprehensive but
	certainly not a tutorial.  It costs $6.

	Learning the VI Editor (ISBN 0-937175-05-6) published by
	O'Reilly & Associates.  (This is fairly old, I expect they
	have updated it.)  This is a 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" book, about 100
	pages.  I would guess it costs about $10.

There are also fairly large VI sections in quite a few of the UNIX books.
I would recommend going to a good bookstore that carries UNIX books and
take a look.  Your background will have a big effect on what is the
right book.  An alternative if there is no decent store in your area is
to call Computer Literacy Books in in San Jose or Sunnyvale (408-730-9112
or 408-435-5015).  They have a pretty amazing selection of computer books,
are decent at telling you about them and will ship them out to you.  They
are really nice people to deal with.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385