[comp.editors] Windowing VI

emuleomo@paul.rutgers.edu (Emuleomo) (02/19/90)

Hi world,
Does anybody out there know any implementation of VI that has windows?
If you do, I would very appreciative if you can email to me how to obtain it.

Thanx

--Emuleomo O.O. (emuleomo@yes.rutgers.edu)
--
** The ONLY thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history!

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (02/20/90)

In article <Feb.19.10.06.08.1990.21675@paul.rutgers.edu>,
emuleomo@paul.rutgers.edu (Emuleomo) writes:
|>Does anybody out there know any implementation of VI that has
|>windows?  If you do, I would very appreciative if you can email to
|>me how to obtain it.

Sure GNU EMACS in VI (VIP) emulation mode! Available in the base GNU
EMACS distribution.

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

sanders@sanders.austin.ibm.com (Tony Sanders) (02/21/90)

-
-Sure GNU EMACS in VI (VIP) emulation mode! Available in the base GNU
-EMACS distribution.
-
-						Ron

Sadly neither of the two VI emulation modes really work enough to get
anything done (if you are a real vi aficionado anyway).

If you can, then run X-windows.  If you can't, some versions of vi I
have seen do have mouse support in them.  I've never used it but have
seen the code.  Dunno where it came from.

My philosophy is to do the work in the correct PLACE.  The editor should run
under the windowing system, not the other way around.  Just seems more
natural to me that way.  Fortunatly there isn't a right way or a wrong
way.

I have also seen/used a windowing system that runs on ascii terminals.
It's not the greatest but when my X server broke I used it for a little
while with some success.
-- sanders                                     JUST SAY kNOw TO DRUGS
"she was an innocent bystander, it's a democracy" -- Jim Morrison

art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) (02/27/90)

In article <3147@cello.UUCP> sanders@sanders.austin.ibm.com (Tony Sanders) writes:
>I have also seen/used a windowing system that runs on ascii terminals.
>It's not the greatest but when my X server broke I used it for a little
>while with some success.

I know of two such windowing systems, windows and screen.  Windows is
a full blown window manager for character terminals and I belive it
comes with 4.2 BSD.  Screen just allows one to have up to 10 virtual
terminals on one physical terminal.  I've used screen since it was
first posted to the net and would die if I lost it.  Windows is a bit
too slow on a loaded system to use but screen has proven its worth.

This is how I get around the no windowing problem in VI.  However, I
seldom have to use this since VI can switch back and forth between
files and by using the cut buffers I have had all the power I need.
With the tag stack feature in later versions of VI I have more than
enough power to do what I need without multiple editor windows.  I
would rather have a fast "editor" than a slow lisp interpretter any
day.

Art Dederick
felix!art
(714)966-3618