[comp.editors] Do you know Picasso?

mls@dasys1.uucp (Michael Siemon) (04/10/90)

In article <1832@ambush.dk> andrew@ambush.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) writes:

>Do you know anything about a wordprocessing/draw/paint program called
>Picasso?

I already answered Leif in email, but thought I might say something more
publicly.  Picasso has as its central core a generalization of Kernighan's
troff preprocessor pic(1).  It's output is, however, PostScript rather than
troff, and the attributes of objects include color and fill, lineweight,
arc radius for boxes and polylines and other such like generalizations.
It also admits general 2D affine transformations.

On top of this "batch" kernel (which can be used to replace pic in standard
UNIX text-processing pipelines) there is an Open Look interactive interface
that is a more or less full function "object oriented" drawing program.
(Sorry, there are no pixmap capabilites, at least at this intial stage; it
is MacDraw rather than MacPaint.)  The Open Look interface does not yet give
total access to the underlying pic-like language (macros and expressions are
only available by editing "picture" file output, rather than directly in the
Open Look interface; other features will be added to picasso on the basis of
user feedback in future releases.)

Picasso is currently in beta testing (it was shown at Uniforum) and will be
(I think -- this is not something I am in close touch with) available as a
part of the Documenter's Workbench suite of programs (i.e., troff etc.) in
a month or two at most.  Binary versions of the picasso beta (for 386-based
machines) have been included with the XWIN/OpenLook source tapes from USO
starting this last January (i.e. with the UNIX SV4.0 versions of OpenLook.)

I will be happy to field any inquiries and direct them to the right place.
(I built the pic-language generalization and kibitzed on the design of the
Open Look interface; obviously I am biased, but since most of the Open Look
interface is the work of Manijeh Shayegan and Chi Choy, it may be worth my
reporting that I find the program useable. :-))

Please note that I am speaking here *entirely* on my own, and not as any
sort of spokesman for AT&T, USO or whatever.
--
Michael L. Siemon		We must know the truth, and we must
mls@dasys1			love the truth we know, and we must act