[comp.editors] Wanted - An Editor Which Handles Long Lines

anw@maths.nott.ac.uk (Dr A. N. Walker) (04/06/90)

In article <41368@fmsrl7.UUCP> hugh@slee01.srl.ford.com (Hugh Fader) writes:

>Can emacs or any other UNIX editor do horizontal scrolling?

	No-one here uses either vi or emacs, but we certainly have an
editor which does horizontal scrolling.  It's called "exed", for
"EXperimental version of ED", and is an offshoot of our local version
of the standard "ed".  I occasionally use it for editing bitmaps.
Its other main advantage over "ed" is that it handles arbitrarily large
files [until the discs are full!] -- on the PDP-11, our "ed" conks out
at about 500K bytes.  Its disadvantage is that it's been unmaintained
for several years, since the student concerned left, so has failed to
track several developments in "ed".

	The bad news is that, although you might have to search with a
microscope, I can't guarantee it to be Bell-free, so anyone wanting it
[on an "as is" basis, tho' it works on all the machines I've ever had
access to] or "ed" [ditto] would need to flash a V6 or later source
licence at me;  also media &/or transport costs.

--
Andy Walker, Maths Dept., Nott'm Univ., UK.
anw@maths.nott.ac.uk

fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org (Frank Kaefer) (04/09/90)

kim@spock (Kim Letkeman) writes:

> JOVE does a nice job of scrolling each line as you edit it. It moves
> perhaps 20 or 30 characters at a time.
> GnuEmacs is less smooth in this area. You either accept wrapped lines
> (which I personally dislike) or you accept chopped lines.
> (some deletions made)

Well, what about MicroEmacs ? Version 3.10 has a very nice way to
handle long lines: it scrolls vertically, and you can set the
amount of characters to scroll (variable $hjump). MicroEmacs
can even handle very long lines. I once had a text with no CRs
(CR marks the end of a line in OS-9), only LF, so uEmacs
read the whole 200 kB in one line (!).

Cheers,
Frank

[P.S.: I think MicroEmacs is one of the best editors in our galaxy]
---
+--------------------------------+ Darkness all around us
+--------------------------------+ Born to amplify    [Carry On - Manowar]

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (04/09/90)

>Can emacs or any other UNIX editor do horizontal scrolling?
     ^^^^^

"emacs" isn't a UNIX editor -- it's one of a variety of editors running on
a variety of machines and OS's.  MicroEmacs 3.10 certainly does horizontal
scrolling, current-line-only or all-lines-at-once as you wish.  A quick
perusal of Gnumacs (18.55) doesn't find the feature under any obvious names.

art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) (04/09/90)

Look at GNU's readline library.  It can be configured for vertical or
horizontal scrolling.  GNU EMACS most likely has this built in.
I use the readline library for making secure user interfaces and have
found it's other features nice (history, name completion etc.).

spa@fctunl.rccn.pt (Salvador Pinto Abreu) (04/09/90)

on 8 Apr 90 21:33:47 GMT,
datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) said:

[stuff deleted]

> 				  MicroEmacs 3.10 certainly does horizontal
> scrolling, current-line-only or all-lines-at-once as you wish.  A quick
> perusal of Gnumacs (18.55) doesn't find the feature under any obvious names.

Doing a `C-H A scroll' promptly yields:

	scroll-left		      C-x <
	  Function: Scroll selected window display ARG columns left.
	scroll-right		      C-x >
	  Function: Scroll selected window display ARG columns right.

I guess this is obvious enough.
--
---
Salvador Pinto Abreu	              BITNET/Internet: spa@fctunl.rccn.pt
 |   Departamento de Informatica   +----------------------------------+
 |   Universidade Nova de Lisboa      2825 Monte Caparica, PORTUGAL   |

spencer@eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) (04/10/90)

In article <101255@convex.convex.com> datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) writes:

> A quick perusal of Gnumacs (18.55) doesn't find the feature
> [horizontal scroll] under any obvious names.

A quick apropos gets, among others, these two:

=Spencer (spencer@eecs.umich.edu)

pd@ixi.uucp (Paul Davey) (04/10/90)

In article <101255@convex.convex.com> datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) writes:

   >Can emacs or any other UNIX editor do horizontal scrolling?
	^^^^^

   "emacs" isn't a UNIX editor -- it's one of a variety of editors running on
   a variety of machines and OS's.  MicroEmacs 3.10 certainly does horizontal
   scrolling, current-line-only or all-lines-at-once as you wish.  A quick
   perusal of Gnumacs (18.55) doesn't find the feature under any obvious names.

Well actually...

GNU Emacs 18.54.2 of Tue Jan 30 1990 on daffy (berkeley-unix)

scroll-right:	bound to ^X>
Scroll selected window display ARG columns right.
Default for ARG is window width minus 2.

scroll-left:	bound to ^X<
Scroll selected window display ARG columns left.
--

 Regards,			paul@ixi.uucp           IXI Limited
	 Paul Davey		...!uunet!ixi!paul      62-74 Burleigh Street

--

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (04/13/90)

In article <101255@convex.convex.com> datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>>Can emacs or any other UNIX editor do horizontal scrolling?
>...  A quick
>perusal of Gnumacs (18.55) doesn't find the feature under any obvious names.

How about "scroll-left" and "scroll-right"? Obvious or not, they work
nicely. GNU Emacs handles both large files, long lines, binary data,
etc. without problems (well, a user here once complained that "the
cursor is not always positioned correctly when doing search-and-replace
on files with lines longer than 700,000 characters". That was a
couple of years ago and I never really got around to check it out :-).

The GNUware rarely impose arbitrary restrictions on users.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | The difference between genius and
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | idiocy is that genius has its limits.