[comp.editors] Novice Editor

peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (05/05/90)

In article <1990Apr30.141137.1011@ednor.bbc.com>, ejg@ednor.bbc.com (Ed Gaudet) writes:

> >> Hmmm. *boy* does that sound like vi. :-)
> >
> >Laffa while you can, monkey boy. :->
> >
> >Seriously, though, this isn't for programmers. This is for folks in the

.  .  .

Here's what you want! This was posted to
alt.folklore.computers and describes the perfect
beginners' editor. Not big deal, just show them their
data! And in a universal format, to boot!

So how about it. Who's going to implement "029"? And what
about the follow-on, "129" (with editing facilities only
dreamed about by users of "029"!?!

I'd buy it....

				- peterd

[  *** found in alt.folklore.computer *** ]

> The point being, DD cards were loathsome things so making a Unix
> command with that name was black humor.

Someone at UCLA actually wrote a replacement for /bin/sh (for a version
7 Unix, I think) which interpreted JCL.  For instance, you had to type

	//SYSIN DD *

in order to get a program's stdin to be the terminal.

He (or a co-conspirator) also had written an editor to replace "ed",
called "029".  As you typed, the "card" scrolled to the left (just like
a card does in the real 029) and the proper holes appeared in the
appropriate column .   I think he had even gotten a DUP function to
work before giving up on the project.
--
Doug Landauer -- landauer@eng.sun.com   or   ...!sun!landauer   _
Sun Microsystems, Inc. -- SPD, SET, Languages                  La no ka 'oi.