[comp.editors] Programming editor needed

jsivier@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jonathon Sivier ) (07/10/90)

HELP!!!!

    I need a text editor which I can actually use.  I need an editor which has
as a minimum all the functunality of vi, including named buffers, fence matching
and macros.  If it has additional features that would be fine, but crippled
versions of vi like stevie do me no good.  I need an editor which will run, with
minimal differences, on a variety of machines and operating systems.  I
currently am using; a VAXStation running VMS, an SGI IRIS running UNIX, PC
clones running MS-DOS and a Commodore Amiga running AmigaDOS.  Since it needs to
run on a VAX it would be best if it didn't require an escape key since the
VAX keyboard has no escape.  Does Emacs use the escape key?  If so is there a
way around it?  Does Emacs do fence matching for C programing?  Is there a
version of vi for the VAX which allows you to remap the escape key to another
key?  Is there anything out there anywhere?  Please respond if you know of
something which fit's these ridiculous requirements be it freeware, shareware
or commercial.

    Thanks for your assistance.

    Jonathan

--

Jonathan Sivier
jsivier@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

srt@aerospace.aero.org (Scott "TCB" Turner) (07/11/90)

In article <1990Jul10.165411.5985@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jsivier@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jonathon Sivier ) writes:
>I currently am using; a VAXStation running VMS, an SGI IRIS running
>UNIX, PC clones running MS-DOS and a Commodore Amiga running
>AmigaDOS.  Since it needs to run on a VAX it would be best if it
>didn't require an escape key since the VAX keyboard has no escape.
>Does Emacs use the escape key?  If so is there a way around it?  Does
>Emacs do fence matching for C programing?

Emacs of some sort runs on all these machines.  I venture to say that
GNU Emacs, which is semi-freeware, runs on all these machines except
MSDOS boxes.  For MS-DOS boxes there are two freeware Emacs clones:
Freemacs and MicroEmacs.  For various reasons I prefer MicroEmacs.
Your mileage will vary.

But all you really need do is find a programmable editor on each machine
and set it up "as you like it".  Of course, the finest programmable editor
is GNU Emacs.  I can say this with impunity because I don't read comp.editors
and won't have to watch the resulting flame war.  :-)

					-- Scott turner