[comp.editors] Textbooks on how to write editors -- info wanted

QQ68@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (David Harper) (06/28/90)

Does anyone know of a good textbook on the design and implementation
of editors ? A book that has examples in C would be ideal, but at
this stage, I'd be grateful for any suggestions at all.

Thanks.

-- David Harper (astronomer manqu\'e) --

Computer Laboratory         JANET:         D.Harper@uk.ac.liverpool
University of Liverpool     INTERNET etc.: D.Harper@liverpool.ac.uk
Liverpool, England          UUCP:  ...!mcvax!ukc!liverpool.ac.uk!D.Harper

rozin@unix.cis.pitt.edu (R Rozin) (07/07/90)

In article <90179.150818QQ68@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> QQ68@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (David Harper) writes:
>Does anyone know of a good textbook on the design and implementation
>of editors ? A book that has examples in C would be ideal, but at
>this stage, I'd be grateful for any suggestions at all.

The book "Advanced C Programming for Displays", by Mark Rochkind, presents,
in a bottom up fashion, the design and implementation of a complete screen
editor in C.

Roman Rozin

trier@cwlim.CWRU.EDU (Stephen C. Trier) (07/07/90)

In article <25697@unix.cis.pitt.edu> rozin@unix.cis.pitt.edu (R Rozin) writes:
>The book "Advanced C Programming for Displays", by Mark Rochkind, presents,
>in a bottom up fashion, the design and implementation of a complete screen
>editor in C.

I was rather disappointed by this book, although I did learn a bit about
keyboard handling from it.  The editor itself is very simple and the author
does not address screen updating with any but very simple editor data
structures.  The discussion of editor design is only incidental to the
author's main goal, which is to present screen and keyboard control
techniques.

Unfortunately, even when discussing display programming, the author glosses
over the design issues behind the implementation.  Instead of describing
alternative approaches, he explains the details of a single implementation
of each module.  His coverage of his implementation is excellent; what
is missing is a description of the other ways to perform the same tasks.

For those of you looking for the book, it's published by Prentice-Hall,
ISBN 0-13-010240-7.  I found it cataloged under QA 76.73.C15 R63 in our
library; your mileage may vary.  Unfortunately, my copy was due back
yesterday.  (Oops!)

--
Stephen Trier                              Case Western Reserve University
Home: sct%seldon@scl.cwru.edu              Information Network Services

afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) (07/08/90)

In article <25697@unix.cis.pitt.edu> rozin@unix.cis.pitt.edu (R Rozin) writes:
>In article <90179.150818QQ68@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> QQ68@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (David Harper) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a good textbook on the design and implementation
>>of editors ? A book that has examples in C would be ideal, but at
>>this stage, I'd be grateful for any suggestions at all.
>
>The book "Advanced C Programming for Displays", by Mark Rochkind, presents,
>in a bottom up fashion, the design and implementation of a complete screen
>editor in C.

  This is a good book BUT led to frustration on my part because the text
for an important header file is omitted in the keyboards chapter. Anyone
happen to know the contents of keyboard.h ?
--
Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
Analyst/Programmer         Environment Canada

chet@cwns1.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (07/10/90)

In article <90179.150818QQ68@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> QQ68@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (David Harper) writes:

>Does anyone know of a good textbook on the design and implementation
>of editors ? A book that has examples in C would be ideal, but at
>this stage, I'd be grateful for any suggestions at all.

"A Software Tools Sampler" by Webb Miller.

(Warning: this is second-hand)

In the book, Miller develops a vi-like screen editor from the bottom up,
with lots of attention paid to redisplay algorithms (the resultant one is
kind of ad-hoc, but works well).

Sorry, no ISBN #.  I'm sure someone else will supply it.

Chet

--
Chet Ramey				"...but worst of all, young man,
Network Services Group			 you've got Industrial Disease!"

walker@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Rick Walker) (07/10/90)

> >Does anyone know of a good textbook on the design and implementation
> >of editors ? A book that has examples in C would be ideal, but at
> >this stage, I'd be grateful for any suggestions at all.
>
> "A Software Tools Sampler" by Webb Miller.
>
> In the book, Miller develops a vi-like screen editor from the bottom up,
> with lots of attention paid to redisplay algorithms (the resultant one is
> kind of ad-hoc, but works well).
>
> Sorry, no ISBN #.  I'm sure someone else will supply it.

Great book.  The ISBN is 0-13-822305-X 025.  Copyright 1987, Prentice-Hall.

--
Rick Walker

ant@mks.com (Anthony Howe) (07/10/90)

>"A Software Tools Sampler" by Webb Miller.

ISBN 0-13-8222305X  Prentice-Hall

>In the book, Miller develops a vi-like screen editor from the bottom up,
>with lots of attention paid to redisplay algorithms (the resultant one is
>kind of ad-hoc, but works well).

The redisplay algorithm is based on a paper...

"A simple row-replacement method"
Eugene W. Myers & Webb Miller
TR 86-28
Dept. of C.S.
U. of Arizona

Webb's book & paper, plus the EMACS Cookbook, are three very useful texts on
editors. Webb covers link-list buffer and redisplay, while the Cookbook covers
gap buffer.

- ant
--
            __                               "Those who love seek a philosphy
 _  . .-|- / _\ .  . |_  _.    _  _  .  .    and, because of this, are fond of

nts0699@dsac.dla.mil (Gene McManus) (07/11/90)

From article <1990Jul7.230615.29437@cid.aes.doe.CA>, by afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel):
>>In article <90179.150818QQ68@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> QQ68@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (David Harper) writes:
>>
>>The book "Advanced C Programming for Displays", by Mark Rochkind...
>
>   ... Anyone happen to know the contents of keyboard.h ?
> --
> Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
> Analyst/Programmer         Environment Canada
> phertel@cmc.aes.doe.ca
>     "Nobody loves me but my mother and she could be jiving too" - B.B. King

I have implemented the screen management libraries from the Rochkind
book, along with a number of extensions, additions. I'll be happy to
email a copy of the keyboard.h header file to Pat or others if you
don't have it. Can't remember just how this file got built...perhaps
it was built a little at a time and doesn't just have a complete code
file presented?

Gene

Gene McManus @ DLA Systems Automation Center, DSAC-X
               Columbus, OH 43215 (614) 238-9403,    Autovon 850-
Internet:      gmcmanus@dsac.dla.mil  (131.78.1.1)
UUCP:          {uunet!gould,cbosgd!osu-cis}!dsacg1!gmcmanus
          <<"Everybody has to believe in something...
	          I believe I'll go fishing" --- Thoreau>>
The views expressed are my own, not those of the Agency, or Dept. of Defense

dcw@doc.ic.ac.uk (Duncan C White) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul9.211315.20505@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> chet@po.CWRU.Edu writes:
>In article <90179.150818QQ68@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> QQ68@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (David Harper) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know of a good textbook on the design and implementation
>>of editors ? A book that has examples in C would be ideal, but at
>>this stage, I'd be grateful for any suggestions at all.
>
>"A Software Tools Sampler" by Webb Miller.

..
>Sorry, no ISBN #.  I'm sure someone else will supply it.

Surely...

	As chance may have it, I bought this book a few days ago, and
	have it on my desk here... upside down too, so the ISBN number
	yelled at me as I glanced across:

		ISBN:	0-13-821984-2

	This is the Prentice Hall International edition.

	Seems like quite a good book in general, develops several useful
	Unix-alike tools before turning to developing a vi like editor.

		Duncan

>Chet
>
>--
>Chet Ramey				"...but worst of all, young man,
>Network Services Group			 you've got Industrial Disease!"
>Case Western Reserve University
>chet@ins.CWRU.Edu

Duncan White, Dept Of Computing, Imperial College,
180 Queen's Gate, London SW7, England.
"The statement is now easier to understand.
It is also wrong."
	C Traps and Pitfalls, Andrew Koenig, Bell Labs.