[comp.editors] showmode required for vi

QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (07/23/90)

I'm used to having the mode appear on input (on HP-UX) when I've issued
set showmode. I now find that this feature is not available with other
versions of vi (the 'standard' editor :-)). Yes I have read the manual :-)

My question is: Has anyone implemented a 'set showmode' facility?
Thanks.

Alan Thew
University of Liverpool Computer Laboratory
Bitnet/Earn: QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK or QQ11%UK.AC.LIVERPOOL @ UKACRL
UUCP       : ....!mcsun!ukc!liv!qq11        Voice: +44 51 794 3735
Internet   : QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK or QQ11%LIVERPOOL.AC.UK @ NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

ruhtra@turing.toronto.edu (Arthur Tateishi) (07/26/90)

>From: QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK
>My question is: Has anyone implemented a 'set showmode' facility?
>Thanks.
I noticed that the vi in new SunOS4.1 has the showmode facility.

Now, can someone tell me why they chose the abbreviation 'smd' for it?

``Sex and drugs? They're nothing compared with a good proof!''
                                - A Cambridge Student  (r.h.f)
Arthur Tateishi                 g9ruhtra@zero.cdf.utoronto.edu

>I noticed that the vi in new SunOS4.1 has the showmode facility.
>
>Now, can someone tell me why they chose the abbreviation 'smd' for it?

Because whoever originally added it to "vi" - probably at AT&T, and I'd
guess it was Mark Horton - did; Sun just snarfed the S5R3.1 "vi",
primarily in order to get its support for 8-bit character sets, for 4.1.