[comp.editors] Simple editor for composing mail in elm ??? HELP !

rob@lafayet.Lafayette.LA.US (Rob Freyder) (08/08/90)

I heard about a simple editor called simped.  I dont know anything about its
capabilitiies but I need something that is easy for novice users but
full screen in nature.  The Insert/Command mode of "vi" type editors is
not acceptable.  Advanced features are not necessary, as I said this is for
composing mail under elm.

Is simped such an animal ?  Please email if you use it or one that you
think fits my needs, I am trying to get all of my users up on elm but the
editor issue is a major stumbling block.

Thanks, Rob.
--
Rob Freyder                                  Core Laboratories a division of
____    ____     ____                        Western Atlas International a

gumby@ucrmath.ucr.edu (john donahue) (08/09/90)

In article <459@lafayet.Lafayette.LA.US> rob@lafayet.Lafayette.LA.US (Rob Freyder) writes:
>I heard about a simple editor called simped.  I dont know anything about its
>capabilitiies but I need something that is easy for novice users but
>full screen in nature.  The Insert/Command mode of "vi" type editors is
>not acceptable.  Advanced features are not necessary, as I said this is for
>composing mail under elm.

Well, I don't think simped is what you're looking for. It's a simple line
based editor, not a full screen editor. I wrote something similar for the
BBS I'm writing and haven't taken on the challenge of writing a full screen
version because it seems so "involved". I've looked at "stevie" and
"crisp" but they are "too" powerful. I want something that is full
screen, uses the arrow keys, and allows me to configure it somehow so
that some users can escape to a shell, while others cannot and so that
some users can read/write to arbitrary filenames while others cannot.
Thus, I need source. I don't need "grep" ability, and all kinds of
variables that can be set, just something simple. (Oh, word-wrap would
be nice too since most novices expect that from an editor these days :)

If anyone ever comes across such a beast, I'm sure the list of people who
will want a copy will be quite lengthy. In other words, I've seen articles
like this come across here for so long, I've finally decided to make my
own plea to the net at large and hope that someone, somewhere, has such
a beast. Any takers?

-- John
INET: gumby@ucrmath.ucr.edu
UUCP: {ucsd, uci, ucdavis}!ucrmath!gumby
"Consequences, schmonsequences, as long as I'm rich" -- Daffy Duck