[comp.editors] VI macro problem inserting pipe

barr@merak.hasler.uucp (09/13/90)

Hi people,
	I have a problem with vi in SunOs UNIX 4.0.3.  I'm attempting to
	include the pipe symbol in a macro, but I can't stop vi
	interpreting the pipe, instead of just taking it as a simple
	character.  A trivial example is:
			map # r|
	(the simplest one to prove the point).  All I want to do is to
	change the text to | but vi complains to me.  I've tried quotes,
	backslash, swearing at the machine... all to no avail.

	Can anybody please put me out of my misery and help me out?

Thanks,
	Stuart.

 _  ___  __              Stuart J. Barr
(_   |   |_)  _, ,_ ,_   Ascom Hasler AG, Berne, Switzerland
 _)._/.  |_) (_| |  |    UUCP: ...!mcsun!hslrswi!barr      "If it works,
                         POTS: (+41) 031 63 16 04           don't fix it!"

mimperre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Marco Imperatore) (09/14/90)

In article <1543@hslrswi.UUCP> barr@merak.hasler.uucp () writes:
>Hi people,
>	I have a problem with vi in SunOs UNIX 4.0.3.  I'm attempting to
>	include the pipe symbol in a macro, but I can't stop vi
>	interpreting the pipe, instead of just taking it as a simple
>	character.  A trivial example is:
>			map # r|
>	(the simplest one to prove the point).  All I want to do is to
>	change the text to | but vi complains to me.  I've tried quotes,
>	backslash, swearing at the machine... all to no avail.
>
>	Can anybody please put me out of my misery and help me out?

Well, I'm not running on the same system as you but I hope the following
suggestion works anyways.  Here is it:

  map # r<control-v><control-v>|

Hope it works out!  Cheers.

--
Marco Imperatore
Computer Graphics Lab, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada