[comp.editors] PD ed required

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (09/14/90)

Has anyone got a pd (with source code) version of the ed editor?

I need to have a secure version of it ie no shell escapes.

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell                 | Email: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk
The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,|        dylan%ibmpcug.CO.UK@ukc

zebr360@ut-emx (Jerry Heyman) (09/15/90)

In article <1990Sep14.012153.12702@ibmpcug.co.uk> dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) writes:
>Has anyone got a pd (with source code) version of the ed editor?
>
>I need to have a secure version of it ie no shell escapes.
>
>Dylan.
>--

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but Chapter 6 of "Software
Tools in Pascal", written by Kernighan and Plauger builds an ed-like editor
in Pascal.  If you have the time, you could always translate the code and
then build it yourself, or if you have a Pascal compiler available - just
enter the code verbatim.  The editor is quite powerful, and is fully
functional.

>Matthew J Farwell                 | Email: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk

jerry heyman
--
Jerry Heyman                  by day: IBM AWD, AIX Development
zebr360@emx.utexas.edu        by nite: Adjunct Lecturer at St. Edward's Univ.

*All comments are my own and should not be construed to represent any one else

dkeisen@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Dave Eisen) (09/16/90)

In article <1990Sep14.012153.12702@ibmpcug.co.uk> dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) writes:

>I need to have a secure version of it ie no shell escapes.

Something that has worked for us in similar cases is to use a shell script:

:
SHELL=
export SHELL
exec ed $*

--
Dave Eisen                      	    Home: (415) 323-9757
dkeisen@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU           Office: (415) 967-5644

rda353l@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (a.r. 8947277 baxter) (09/18/90)

dkeisen@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Dave Eisen) writes:

>In article <1990Sep14.012153.12702@ibmpcug.co.uk> dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) writes:
>>I need to have a secure version of it ie no shell escapes.
>Something that has worked for us in similar cases is to use a shell script:
>SHELL=
>export SHELL
>exec ed $*
>Dave Eisen                      	    Home: (415) 323-9757
>dkeisen@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU           Office: (415) 967-5644

I just followed up to a similar question in comp.unix.questions pointing
out that this doesnt work. Inside vi, you type '<ESC>:set shell=/bin/sh',
then you can shell out to your hearts content.

You might want to get the source for one of the PD vi-clones, and modify
that; or there may be some other way to do this.

Anthony Baxter:
rda353l%monu6.cc.monash.oz@uunet.UU.NET        Robotics and Digital Technology
{uunet}!munnari!monu6.cc.monash.oz!rda353l     Monash University, Caulfield

tgcpwd@rw5.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) (09/22/90)

The first person wrote:
> I need to have a secure version of it ie no shell escapes.

May I point you to the availability of the Minix operating system,
which includes all sources, also that of ed. I reckon somebody in
your neighbourhood should be able to supply you with that source file
or else contact me.

Met vriendelijke groeten, Wim -b-b- van Dorst
Blue Baron = Wim van Dorst, Voice (+31) 074-443937, (+31) 02152-42319
(-:       baron@wiesje.hobby.nl           tgcpwd@urc.tue.nl       :-)