[comp.editors] Editing binary files in hex

cloos@acsu.buffalo.edu (James H. Cloos) (10/06/90)

Hello,

I have some files here that I need to look at & edit in hex-dump
format.  I was wondering if there was either a emacs mode or a good
hex_dump_editor out there?

(I've heard of bed (by Stephen Muir, Lancaster Univ.) & tried it on
one of my files on another system (where it is installed) but my files
are reverse-field, nybble based, and the result was difficult to use.
(Though, I suppose if it is copyable, I could rewrite parts of it so
that it would work with my files, but a dedicated emacs mode would be
preferable.)

Any help is well appreciated.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.		Phone:  +1 716 673-1250
cloos@acsu.buffalo.edu		Snail:  PersonalZipCode:  14048-0772, USA

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (10/06/90)

In article <39275@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cloos@acsu.buffalo.edu (James H. Cloos) writes:
>I have some files here that I need to look at & edit in hex-dump
>format.  I was wondering if there was either a emacs mode or a good
>hex_dump_editor out there?

For which operating system, pray!  If MsDos, take a look at
/pc/pd2/fed153.zip available by anonymous ftp from our site.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

roland@ai.mit.edu (Roland McGrath) (10/07/90)

Available for anonymous FTP from tut.cis.ohio-state.edu are

pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/misc/hexl-mode.el.Z
pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/misc/hex-mode.el.Z
--
	Roland McGrath
	Free Software Foundation, Inc.

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (10/07/90)

In article <39275@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cloos@acsu.buffalo.edu (James H. Cloos) writes:
>I have some files here that I need to look at & edit in hex-dump
>format.  I was wondering if there was either a emacs mode or a good
>hex_dump_editor out there?

There is an editor called uzap which specifically edits binary files.
Its ok to look at them, and change things, but inserting and deleteing
things are a pain.

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell                 | Email: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk
The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,|        ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan

cloos@acsu.buffalo.edu (James H. Cloos) (10/09/90)

(I seem to have forgotten to mention that I need this for UNIX, on sun3's,
4's, and perhaps others in the furure, so src is prefered.  -JimC