[comp.editors] Elvis is Dead

userBARD@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Barry Ard) (10/11/90)

Now that I have found Elvis (for the PC), got him reserected (compiled
and running) I find him to be as overweight as he always was. Does anyone
besides me find it slooooowwww. It is using bios ints for all screen i/o
which is robust but too slow for me. Has anyone made any modifications
so that all screen i/o is done directly to video memory. I'm sure
that would speed things up a lot.

On a related note: Elvis starts up with a dark blue background with
light blue text which I find really annoying and haven't found any
way to change it. Can it be changed?
"So long Grizzly dudes", Bart Simpson
Barry Ard                     |     uucp:     ..!alberta!uqv-mts!userbard
University Computing Systems  |     inet:     userbard@mts.ucs.ualberta.ca
University of Alberta         |     bitnet:   userbard@ualtamts.bitnet
Edmonton, Alberta             |               bard@ualtavm

In article <1442@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA> userBARD@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Barry Ard) writes:
> besides me find it slooooowwww. It is using bios ints for all screen i/o
> which is robust but too slow for me. Has anyone made any modifications
> so that all screen i/o is done directly to video memory. I'm sure

Get a FAST ansi.sys, and replace tinytcap.c with the termlib I recently
posted to alt.sources. On most PCs a fast ansi.sys is near as fast as direct
screen writes, and blows the BIOS out of the water.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`