[comp.editors] wanted: a reformat EXEC for XEDIT files

mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) (10/09/90)

Editing on an IBM mainframe is such a pain, but sometimes that's all you
got. One of the most obvious things missing is a way to easily reformat
paragraphs written with the XEDIT editor. Has anyone figured out how to
reformat (re-align) the lines in a paragraph
so that they don't look this ugly?

Come to think of it... does anyone have a nice
set of EXECs to make life easier when working with XEDIT.  My deepest
apprecication if you could share them with me.

  Mario Dona
  ...!{ !decwrl!qubix, ames!oliveb!tymix, pyramid}!wjvax!mario
  The above opinions are mine alone and not, in any way, those of WJ.

QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (10/13/90)

In article <1662@wjvax.UUCP>, mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) says:

>Editing on an IBM mainframe is such a pain, but sometimes that's all you
>got. One of the most obvious things missing is a way to easily reformat
>paragraphs written with the XEDIT editor. Has anyone figured out how to
>reformat (re-align) the lines in a paragraph
>so that they don't look this ugly?
>
>Come to think of it... does anyone have a nice
>set of EXECs to make life easier when working with XEDIT.  My deepest
>apprecication if you could share them with me.

Hmmm, a nice set of execs, you need Eric Thomas' JUSTIFY package.

I'll mail it to you unless there's a clamour from others :-)
in which case I'll post it to comp.sources.misc.

Alan Thew
University of Liverpool Computer Laboratory
Bitnet/Earn: QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK or QQ11%UK.AC.LIVERPOOL @ UKACRL
UUCP       : ....!mcsun!ukc!liv!qq11        Voice: +44 51 794 3735
Internet   : QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK or QQ11%LIVERPOOL.AC.UK @ NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

swh@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Steve Harrold) (10/16/90)

@@@
@@@ Hmmm, a nice set of execs, you need Eric Thomas' JUSTIFY package.
@@@
@@@ I'll mail it to you unless there's a clamour from others :-)
@@@ in which case I'll post it to comp.sources.misc.
@@@
@@@ Alan Thew
----------

If the package is written in REXX (not EXEC2), I'd like a copy as well.
Why REXX?  I'd have to "port" the facility to the KEDIT environment.

Thanks for your help.

--
---------------------
Steve Harrold			swh@hpda.hp.com

djb@bbt.UUCP (beauvais) (10/26/90)

>@@@  you need Eric Thomas' JUSTIFY package.
>
>If the package is written in REXX (not EXEC2), I'd like a copy as well.

I too would be interested in a REXX implementation.  In fact, why not
just post it...

--
Dan Beauvais                        UUCP:      ...!mcnc!rti!bbt!djb
BroadBand Technologies, Inc.        Internet:  djb%bbt@rti.rti.org

ken@sugra.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (10/28/90)

In article <1662@wjvax.UUCP>, mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) writes:
: Editing on an IBM mainframe is such a pain, but sometimes that's all you
: got. One of the most obvious things missing is a way to easily reformat
: paragraphs written with the XEDIT editor. Has anyone figured out how to
: reformat (re-align) the lines in a paragraph
: so that they don't look this ugly?

Check out the following, first the starting text:

 /* top marker */
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 90 23:21:18 EDT
From: Network Mailer <MAILER@MERCURY.CCCC.NJIT.EDU>
To: KEN@ORION
Subject: mail delivery error
 /* end marker */

Batch SMTP transaction log follows:

220 MERCURY.CCCC.NJIT.EDU Columbia MAILER R2.04 BSMTP service ready.
050 HELO UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
250 MERCURY.CCCC.NJIT.EDU Hello UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
050 TICK 4995
250 4995 ... that's the ticket.
050 MAIL FROM:<biff@hardy.u.washington.edu>
250 <biff@hardy.u.washington.edu>... sender OK.
050 RCPT TO:<bdbdb@mercury.BITNET>
250 <bdbdb@mercury.BITNET>... recipient OK.
050 DATA
354 Start mail input.  End with <crlf>.<crlf>
554-Mail not delivered to some or all recipients:
554 No such local user: BDBDB
050 QUIT
221 MERCURY.CCCC.NJIT.EDU Columbia MAILER BSMTP service done.

Ok, now the output, the first paragraph was done without justtification,
the second was done with justification:

 /* top marker */
R2.04) with BSMTP id 9179; Mon, 15 Oct 90 23:19:54 EDT Received: from
MERCURY.CCCC.NJIT.EDU by MERCURY.CCCC.NJIT.EDU (Mailer R2.04) with
BSMTP id 7944; Mon, 15 Oct 90 23:21:18 EDT Date: Mon, 15 Oct 90
23:21:18 EDT From: Network Mailer <MAILER@MERCURY.CCCC.NJIT.EDU> To:
KEN@ORION Subject: mail delivery error
 /* end marker */

Batch SMTP transaction log follows:

220  MERCURY.CCCC.NJIT.EDU Columbia  MAILER R2.04  BSMTP service  ready.
050   HELO   UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU  250   MERCURY.CCCC.NJIT.EDU   Hello
UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU 050  TICK 4995  250 4995  ... that's  the ticket.
050         MAIL          FROM:<biff@hardy.u.washington.edu>         250
<biff@hardy.u.washington.edu>...      sender      OK.      050      RCPT
TO:<bdbdb@mercury.BITNET>  250  <bdbdb@mercury.BITNET>... recipient  OK.
050  DATA 354  Start mail  input.  End with  <crlf>.<crlf> 554-Mail  not
delivered to some  or all recipients: 554 No such  local user: BDBDB 050
QUIT  221  MERCURY.CCCC.NJIT.EDU  Columbia MAILER  BSMTP  service  done.

Ok, this is the routine itself, please note that it is not well tested,
its just something I threw together.  There are probably better ways
of doing it, but what do you expect to be done in an hour?  Try learning
more about what the REXX/XEDIT interface can do, it is *VERY* powerful,
I'd say it almost approaches the capabilities of emacs.

/* take from the current line till a line that has a blank in the
beginning and try to format it nicely. */

signal on novalue

/* get and store the starting line number */
'EXTRACT/LINE'
start_line = line.1

paragraph2format = ''

/* get the stuff to format into a paragraph into a long line */
do forever
   'EXTRACT/CURLINE'
   if curline.3 ^= '' & pos(' ', curline.3) ^= 1 then
      paragraph2format = paragraph2format strip(curline.3)
   else leave
   'DOWN 1'
   if rc ^= 0 then leave
   end

/* goto previous line and delete to the beginning line number */
'UP 1'
'DEL :'start_line - 1

/* while we are not done, grab 72 characters, strip off the trucated
   part of the last word, and input it into editor */

do until new_line = ''
   parse value reverse(substr(paragraph2format,1,72)) with ' ' new_line
   new_line = reverse(new_line)

   paragraph2format = strip(substr(paragraph2format, length(new_line)+1))

   /* for justified outout uncomment the following line */
      new_line = justify(new_line, 72)

   if new_line ^= '' then 'INPUT' strip(new_line)
   end

jhc@irwin.uucp (James H. Coombs) (10/28/90)

In article <16@sugra.UUCP> ken@sugra.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) writes:
>In article <1662@wjvax.UUCP>, mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) writes:
>> Editing on an IBM mainframe is such a pain, but sometimes that's all you
>> got. One of the most obvious things missing is a way to easily reformat
>Ok, this is the routine itself, please note that it is not well tested,

I have a full blown justifier/formatter for XEDIT.  It has been
publically available at Brown for 5 years or more, so it is mature and
robust.  It is a little long to post to a group like this, but I am
willing to share it.  Perhaps someone can tell me what source group to
post it to.  Or I will (eventually) respond to direct requests.  --Jim

QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (10/31/90)

In article <1016@bbt.UUCP>, djb@bbt.UUCP (beauvais) says:

>>@@@  you need Eric Thomas' JUSTIFY package.
>>
>>If the package is written in REXX (not EXEC2), I'd like a copy as well.
>
>I too would be interested in a REXX implementation.  In fact, why not
>just post it...
I'll post it sometime soon to alt.sources since comp.sources.misc appears
to be dead unless Brandon is managing to continue...

The source is available to anyone to has access to a NETSERV machine on
BITNET as well.