[comp.editors] Which editors on Silicon Graphics?

bjl@freyr.pttrnl.nl (Ben Lippolt) (11/02/90)

Hi,

I'm looking for a simple and user-friendly editor for a Silicon Graphics
Personal Iris system. This will be used be a rather inexperienced user (he
has some experience on PCs, e.g. with WordPerfect).
Vi and Emacs with their cryptic commands are out of the question.

 - Is there such a (preferably a PD) editor?
 - Is WordPerfect available on this machine?
 - Is there a PC-emulator (SoftPC?) under which MS-DOS programs (like
   WP) can run? If so, what can this emulator do and how fast is it?
 - XView seems to run on the Iris. Does "textedit" work?

Thanks for any info.

Ben J. Lippolt
---
PTT Research, Dr. Neher Laboratories    [ E-mail : BJ_Lippolt@pttrnl.nl ]
P.O. Box 421, 2260 AK Leidschendam,     [ BITnet : LIPPOLT@HLSDNL5      ]
The Netherlands. Tel: +31 70 3325439    [ UUCP   : hp4nl!dnlunx!bjl     ]

dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) (11/06/90)

In article <bjl.657536888@freyr> BJ_Lippolt@pttrnl.nl writes:
>Hi,
>
>I'm looking for a simple and user-friendly editor for a Silicon Graphics
>Personal Iris system. This will be used be a rather inexperienced user (he
>has some experience on PCs, e.g. with WordPerfect).
>Vi and Emacs with their cryptic commands are out of the question.
> ... STUF DELETED ....

Try 'jot'.  It comes with the system.  It could use a lot of work to be
really usefull, but for a novice, it's really great.  I purchased an
editor called 'AME'.  It did some real nice stuff, but unfortunately, I
could type faster than it could catch characters and it would miss them.
Got to be too much of a pain with all the lost characters so I gave up on
it.
~

# CompuServe: >INTERNET:uunet.UU.NET!ki!dwatts    Dan Watts         #
# UUCP      : ...!{uunet | wgc386}!ki!dwatts      Ki Research, Inc. #
############### New Dimensions In Network Connectivity ##############

scfisher@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steven Fisher) (11/06/90)

In article <879@ki.UUCP> dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
!>In article <bjl.657536888@freyr> BJ_Lippolt@pttrnl.nl writes:
!>>Hi,
!>>
!>>I'm looking for a simple and user-friendly editor for a Silicon Graphics
!>>Personal Iris system. This will be used be a rather inexperienced user (he
!>>has some experience on PCs, e.g. with WordPerfect).
!>>Vi and Emacs with their cryptic commands are out of the question.
!>> ... STUF DELETED ....
!>
!>Try 'jot'.  It comes with the system.  It could use a lot of work to be
!>really usefull, but for a novice, it's really great.  I purchased an
!>editor called 'AME'.  It did some real nice stuff, but unfortunately, I
!>could type faster than it could catch characters and it would miss them.
!>Got to be too much of a pain with all the lost characters so I gave up on
!>it.

Newer versions of AME are far better about not dropping characters - my old
version of it dropped quite a few, but I can't think of the last time that
i lost any characters with my current version. I definately think its worth
the money ($500.00).

-steve