[net.micro] Welcome! What would YOUR dream machine look like?

frith@trwrdc.UUCP (Lord Frith) (11/02/85)

In article <7000013@uicsl> hr@uicsl.UUCP writes:

> I read somewhere that the original name was "AMICA". When Amiga's parents
> found that that word was already taken, they changed one of the letters.
> I believe that they did not at first make the association with the
> Spanish word.

"AMICA?"  That's the name of my insurance company!

The Amiga sounds interesting but I still haven't seen one in the flesh.
Any showrooms in the Washington/Virginia/Maryland area selling this
thing?  I also want to see if the software is up to snuff for a REAL MANLY
hacker.  These micro-based Operating Systems are often such trash.

Here's what my ideal computer might look like.  Some of these features
the Amiga already has...

68010 or 68020 chip running all out.  No wait states for this man.

Memory and lots of it.  Let's say 2 meg.

3 1/2" disk drive for floppies.  200 - 300 meg hard disk with NO I/O bottleneck.

High-Res monochrome monitor.  I don't need a color game machine.

Normal slectric keyboard layout.  None of this DEC or IBM trash.

Tons o' software.  SCHEME, MRS, Franz LISP, C compiler.  All documentation.

Netnews and UUCP compatible software.  Telnet and FTP.

Laser printer for nice output.  I never need listings.

In short... I want the world.