[comp.editors] What terms should an editor support?

cs00jec@unccvax.uncc.edu (Jim Cain v2.0.1) (11/04/90)

I am writing a screen editor as a senior project (please no evangilizations
on vi/emacs/etc). What terminals should it support, just in case I don't
use standard termcaps and instead write my own? (I will most likely use
curses etc but just in case)

All we use here are Wyse 60's (and a few awful TVI 920's in a corner
somewhere). Have most places moved up to the more modern terminals,
such as the Wyse, TVI 955, etc.?

I really don't know because I'm not familiar with anywhere other than
school. (We did use TVI 925's in high school, and they were testing
Wyse terms for purchase when I graduated, but that was eons ago.)

Thanks in advance for input.

hitz@auspex.auspex.com (Dave Hitz) (11/04/90)

In article <2908@unccvax.uncc.edu> cs00jec@unccvax.uncc.edu (Jim Cain v2.0.1) writes:
> I am writing a screen editor as a senior project (please no evangilizations
> on vi/emacs/etc). What terminals should it support, just in case I don't
> use standard termcaps and instead write my own? (I will most likely use
> curses etc but just in case)

The file /etc/termcap contains a list of terminals your editor should
support.

Consider this an argument in favor of using termcap(3) or curses(3).

--
Dave Hitz					work: 408-492-0900
UUCP: {uunet,mips,sun,bridge2}!auspex!hitz 	home: 408-739-7116

paul@ixi.uucp (Paul Davey) (11/09/90)

In article <4241@auspex.auspex.com> hitz@auspex.auspex.com (Dave Hitz) writes:

   In article <2908@unccvax.uncc.edu> cs00jec@unccvax.uncc.edu (Jim Cain v2.0.1) writes:
   > I am writing a screen editor as a senior project (please no evangilizations
   > on vi/emacs/etc). What terminals should it support, just in case I don't
   > use standard termcaps and instead write my own? (I will most likely use
   > curses etc but just in case)

   The file /etc/termcap contains a list of terminals your editor should
   support.

   Consider this an argument in favor of using termcap(3) or curses(3).

You might also include X terminals - ie give full X support, not just
running it in an Xterm.

--
 Regards,			 pd@x.co.uk          IXI Limited
	Paul Davey		 pd@ixi.uucp         62-74 Burleigh St.

In article <PAUL.90Nov8174414@cheshire.ixi.uucp> paul@ixi.uucp (Paul Davey) writes:
>    Consider this an argument in favor of using termcap(3) or curses(3).

> You might also include X terminals - ie give full X support, not just
> running it in an Xterm.

Use STDWIN or some other high-level portable window interface and you
get curses, X, MacOS, Windows, etc...
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`