[comp.editors] vi/emacs religion

weimer@ssd.kodak.com (Gary Weimer) (11/13/90)

In article <984@latexo.cs.utexas.edu> mayoff@cs.utexas.edu (Robert Mayoff) writes:
>>Why don't you just "go with the flow", "get with the program", "get
>>up, get into it, get involved" (--James Brown) and use GNU Emacs' vi
>>(or vip) mode, and its ispell interface.
>
>Argh.  I've been reading this newsgroup for quite a while now, and have
>been pleasantly surprised that no one has made a comment like this -
>until now.
>
>It really, *really* offends me when people say stuff like this.  I get
>loads of this stuff around here: people nag me about how vi is
>inferior, why don't I use emacs, etc.

[why I like vi over emacs]

>Flame-retardation suit donned.

I for one agree with you. I know two commands in emacs: save & quit.
These are the only two emacs commands I need to know (How do you invoke
emacs, anyway? :-) ). I've never understood why people think an editor
that uses ^Q to go to the previous line is easier to use. Of course, when
you switch OS's, you may have to use ^P for previous line--at least a
little more intuitive. hjkl may not be too intuitive, but the terminals
I started "computing" on (adm3a?) had arrows on these keys. I won't even
use the cursor keys on newer terminals--I would have to take my hand off
the home keys.

If you prefer emacs, fine--but don't ask me for help (sorry, the old lab-
assistant in me comming out :-) ). But please:

DON'T BUG ME FOR USING VI!!!!!

Gary