[comp.editors] is it possable to mget any money if i write a version of vi?

bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (11/08/90)

In article <940@otello.sublink.org> venta@otello.sublink.org (Paolo Ventafridda) writes:
>why bother to re-invent the wheel?

Why indeed?

>A simple word-wrapping/right-justif. without any printer control

RTFM nroff(1).  The vi-macro using nroff to double-justify
text is fairly simple.  It's probably in the FAQ for
comp.unix.questions, in fact.

>I think that rewriting ex/vi is far much more difficult than
>writing a simple but workable WP from scratch.

vi(1) and emacs(1gnu) are _extensible_ (especially emacs, which
is more of a build-it-yourself editor kit than an actual editor.)

Maarten (anyone?) should email you a copy of the vi
reference.  I think you'd be amazed how powerful that
little editor is.  (Maart - I'd do it myself, but my copy is
on a tape in a box behind the-- well, you get the
picture...)

				--Blair
				  "I'd do it myself, but my brain
				   is on a tape in a box behind
				   the -- well, you get the picture..."

venta@otello.sublink.org (Paolo Ventafridda) (11/11/90)

In article <873@inews.intel.com>, bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:

> RTFM nroff(1).  The vi-macro using nroff to double-justify
> text is fairly simple.  It's probably in the FAQ for
> comp.unix.questions, in fact.

When i wrote my previous article i almost knew there had been
such an answer. Well Blair... (thx anyway;-) ) the problem is
that i *don't *have the text formatting tools.
I am using a 3b2-600 at&t with unix V 3.2.1, and there are no
text form. tools (well, there are no manual pages online too!!
in fact this product is not supported anymore in italy).

> Maarten (anyone?) should email you a copy of the vi
> reference.

Thanks again for your kindness, but i already have a vi reference
guide (a small pocket book by at&t, really nice).

The point here was the rewriting of ex/vi. Still i think the the unix
world is missing some public domain software which is not
a language, a disk tool, a powerful editor with lisp online,
a 2200 elo chess player, but a simple, tiny, ordinary
Word Processor.

I dont want to use Emacs or Vi for writing a letter!!!!
VI is older than me!!! (uhm, not sure...but maybe almost!)
I use vi, sometimes microemacs, but i am concerned that
8 years ago when i was using my ancient TI-99/4a with 16K
i had a far much better WP. Which was not talking lisp.
Just like my car doesn't speak Basic.

Hehehe ;-)
Greets, Paolo

--
Paolo Ventafridda     -*-     INTERNET: venta@otello.sublink.org
TELEMATIX MILANO - Via C.Gomes 10, 20124 Milano -  +39-2-6706012

wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (11/14/90)

In <946@otello.sublink.org> venta@otello.sublink.org (Paolo Ventafridda)
tirades:

>When i wrote my previous article i almost knew there had been
>such an answer. Well Blair... (thx anyway;-) ) the problem is
>that i *don't *have the text formatting tools.

There are other text formatting tools (such as mf posted to
alt.sources recently) which might get your job done, Paulo.

>Thanks again for your kindness, but i already have a vi reference
>guide (a small pocket book by at&t, really nice).

...not as nice as Maarten's guide...

>The point here was the rewriting of ex/vi. Still i think the the unix
>world is missing some public domain software which is not

stevie, elvis, jstevie1.3 are already here.  Other authors have the jump on
you.

>I dont want to use Emacs or Vi for writing a letter!!!!

Prego prego Paulo.  Calm down :-)

>I use vi, sometimes microemacs, but i am concerned that
>8 years ago when i was using my ancient TI-99/4a with 16K
>i had a far much better WP. Which was not talking lisp.
>Just like my car doesn't speak Basic.

I also often wish vi had !}fmt built-in.  I may add paragraph
formatting to jstevie1.3 in a few months.

The point is that you should start with elvis or jstevie, not write all of
vi from scratch.

>Hehehe ;-)
>Greets, Paolo

Ciao,  -Mitch

venta@otello.sublink.org (Paolo Ventafridda) (11/14/90)

In article <14607@neptune.inf.ethz.ch>, wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) writes:
> ...not as nice as Maarten's guide...

Yum yum... now i'm curious!

> stevie, elvis, jstevie1.3 are already here.  Other authors have the jump on
> you.

I beg your pardon - i'm probably wrong - but once upon a time, about
2.5 seconds-CPU (Cray XMP) ago [which is ~3 years ago for my old Atari
micro ;-) ] there was a 'stevie' program around. It looked like a
good VI clone, but not like a WP. These *stevie* you are talking about
have advanced features?

> I also often wish vi had !}fmt built-in.  I may add paragraph
> formatting to jstevie1.3 in a few months.
sigh. I just wish i had "fmt" on the 3b2; ah, but next machine will
be a 386, which is not a 'mini', so it will probably be good for
something else than crunching i/o.
Here's something to make you laugh a bit. Time ago, in W.Germany,
a friend of mine was showing me it's fabulous Unix 286.
He was trying to compile ELM 2.0, running the Configure script.
"You see, this is a real UNIX...not a xenix." etc.etc. ;-)
So the Configure starts, and on the screen there comes out
"..it's not eunice.."
"..it's not xenix..."
"..it's not unix ..."
"...hey, this is a CRAY!"
While i was down on the ground laughing, i thought that probably
the Micropork 286 unix was the hardest system to compile software on.
Nowadays i'm not so sure; i've been trying to compile aberMUD II
on the 3b2 without any success (it dumps core) since friday.
The Readme says that the software "will compile on any machine with
a CPU inside" (hehe) but they forgot to add "except 3b2s".
The approach to compile pd software here is now "it won't work, but
let's see if today we're lucky" ;-(
So i wonder if stevie would compile here, also.

> Ciao,  -Mitch

Ciao e grazie, Paolo