[net.micro] Kaypro 2000

Bellusci@his-phoenix-multics.arpa (10/18/85)

I'd like to solicit some information on the new Kaypro 2000.  Does
anyone own, have experience with, or read any reviews about this new
ibm-compatible laptop?  I sat down to a brief demo on one and it seemed
quite nice.  The system included LCD screen (24*80), 768K, 720K 3.5
drive, lots of *Star software and a file transfer program called Mite.
It uses an 8088 and has an open bus for expansion.  The basic system can
be had for $1695.

lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA (10/19/85)

Hmmm.  When you're through with the sit-down demo of the 2000, try
PICKING IT UP.  That thing is HEAVY--not the sort of thing you'd
want to carry around very long.

--Lauren--

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (10/20/85)

> I'd like to solicit some information on the new Kaypro 2000.  Does

If you can afford it and don't need IBM-compatible expansion  & I/O ports the
DG-1 is a better choice... I was using both side by side for a while, and
have noted the following things:

CON:

	The new DG-1 screen is an order of magnitude better than the kaypro's.
The kaypro screen has a couple of problems: it's got a weird aspect ratio, its
character set is kind of klunky, and it's really rather dense about how it
handles graphics: it seems to use 1 bit of the color map to determine whether
to be black or white, where the DG-1 uses the color bits to determine such
things as boldface & underlining. As a result I had to do a lot of diddling to
make SideKick readable on the Kay: black on black isn't a usable color combo.

	Toss the desk accesories that come with it & get SideKick. They just
use up gobs of RAM & don't do much. Side question: is there any way to just
load the editor portion of SideKick?

	The disk drive seeks very slowly.

	One drive systems, even with 720K, are still for the birds.

	The power supply has to be unplugged when booting unless you have very
clean power: I was unable to boot any disks reliably until I did this.

	There is a power switch behind the display on the left side. Get in the
habit of turning it off or you'll find the stupid thing booting before you get
the disk in.

	The "power guage" shows full until the battery's just about to die,
so don't assume you've got 2 hours charge just because it's at half full.

PRO:
	It's extremely compatible. I have had a total of one program that won't
run on it: DoubleDos. If you need a portable computer & can't afford to keep
a second machine at home or the office to run CrossTalk or other IBM-only
programs, it's the one to get. Also, the internal modem is 1200 baud rather
than 300 (as the DG-1's is). The detachable keyboard is nice, as is the handle
and the space for 2 extra disks... you can actually carry it around like a
berifcase: the DG-1 is more like a suitcase (their hard carrying case is
actually an American Tourister suitcase with foam padding glued in). If you
do have another machine, the ability to use its drives is nice.

Basically: the DG-1 is better to work on, and the Kay a better machine to carry
around.

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (10/21/85)

> Hmmm.  When you're through with the sit-down demo of the 2000, try
> PICKING IT UP.  That thing is HEAVY--not the sort of thing you'd
> want to carry around very long.

This is the first time I've caught you talking nonesense, Lauren. The Kaypro,
especially in its soft over-the-shoulder bag, is no great load. I've been
carrying it all over the place & it's no more burdensome than a portable
typewriter, a toolbox, or a beach-bag full of wet towels & swimming costumes.

lauren@rand-unix.arpa (10/22/85)

I guess it depends on how much other stuff you have to carry around.
It's amazing how disgusted you can get carrying a 12 lb box around
airport after airport along with one or two other bags.  It's not
like it's just being carried across the room, but the sorts of applications
for which portables really are (supposedly) designed require that they
be carried around A LOT.  I suppose if you like lugging stuff around
in shoulder bags that's OK (but good luck in the long run).  Frankly,
my idea of a portable is something that weighs a FEW pounds and can
be dropped INTO my primary travel bag along with everything else without
ripping a hole through the bottom.  Another important reason to
buy SMALL portables is the increasing enforcement of the new airline
regulations concerning carryon luggage (ALL luggage you're carrying must
fit under the seat).  As airlines get stuffier about this, carrying
two bags (clothing / computer) will become very inconvenient.  I saw
one fellow with what looked like a Kaypro being forced to CHECK IT
IN like luggage.  Man, was he upset.  He only had one other bag, too.
This is becoming increasingly common.

Once again, I encourage people to visualize carrying the Kaypro around
up and down the airline access halls and hassling with airline people
about carryon rules.  The PX-8, being small and extremely portable,
would seem to be better for the frequent traveler.  The Kaypro is
portable the way a big Grundig radio receiver is portable.  They both
can be carried around, but it isn't much fun to do.

Topics such as "how portable is a portable" are obviously heavily
laced with personal opinions and judgements (including this message!)
It all depends on your point of view....

--Lauren--

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (10/24/85)

> I guess it depends on how much other stuff you have to carry around.
> It's amazing how disgusted you can get carrying a 12 lb box around
> airport after airport along with one or two other bags.

I have carried around a DG-1 and a non-trivial amount of other stuff in
a standard Amex travel bag. The Kaypro is slightly smaller and has a better
form factor than the DG-1, and there's no law saying you have to use the
over-the-shoulder bag.

kenyon@nmtvax.UUCP (10/29/85)

In article <> peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>carrying it all over the place & it's no more burdensome than a portable
>typewriter, a toolbox, or a beach-bag full of wet towels & swimming costumes.
                                                                     ---------

I can imagine him sitting on the beach putting on his red nose and floppy
shoes... :-)

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (11/02/85)

> >a beach-bag full of wet towels & swimming costumes.
>                                            ---------
>
> I can imagine him sitting on the beach putting on his red nose and floppy
> shoes... :-)

I can't help it if you Americans can't speak English.
--
Name: Peter da Silva
Graphic: `-_-'